Cubase AI 8 & Windows themes

Geoff_L

For those who don't know, Cubase AI 8 (and probably other editions of Cubase) doesn't support Windows Basic or High Contrast themes. I wasn't made aware of this when I bought a Steinberg USB interface that bundled the download version and, about a month after buying the bundle, I only found out today.

First issue for me was that the Steinberg website rejected the supplied download access key. I raised a support issue and it took Steinberg over two weeks to respond by email with a download link and replacement activation code. I downloaded the software, installed and registered it today. However, when I first launched Cubase AI, I got an error message telling me that the software doesn't support my Windows theme and it refused to launch. For other reasons, I use the Windows Classic theme and so the Steinberg software seems of little use to me. Thankfully, I have another (free) DAW that I installed as a stop-gap until Steinberg sorted out the access key issue, and so I can still use the hardware.

I'm posting this both in the hope that it'll warn others who don't use a Windows Aero theme and also in the hope that someone knows of a fix that'll let me run Cubase AI on the Windows Classic theme.

Thanks for the offer of help. However, I already know how to switch themes but need to use Windows Classic.

Um, you need only read the instructions...
Unfortunately, you don't get to see the instructions until you've bought the associated hardware and I doubt anyone goes trawling through support FAQs looking for gotchas that should have been declared up front. The bottom line is that Cubase AI does not fully support Windows 7 and there is an undisclosed system requirement.

FWIW, I did check out the system requirements for the UR22 Mk2 I purchased (Specs & Downloads :  | http://www.steinberg.net/) and there is nothing there to say an Aero theme is required. I just checked the system requirements for Cubase Pro and Elements (Specs & Downloads :  | http://www.steinberg.net/) and there's nothing there for Elements (on which I understand AI is based) regarding Windows themes.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for Steinberg to update the specifications pages to include this (and any other) undisclosed system requirement?

I sympathise, but you got the software as a free gift, so the only solution is to swap the theme. If you can't do this, you're stuck - but not really much you can do. If you had spent money on Cubase, I can see your complaint, but it's a freebie? Equally, the thing you paid for is fine. It's a bit like those people who complain the stitching on their Meerkat is badly sown - you can't demand a replacement for a free meerkat toy!

The software was not a "free gift". The UR22 was in competition with a Mackie Onyx Blackjack. The Mackie interface is cheaper and reviews suggest it's as good if not better than the UR22. The only reason I went for the UR22 was to get the bundled Steinberg DAW. The Steinberg product was sold as a package -- with the DAW being an integral component. We can even put a financial value on the Cubase AI element: The difference between Cubasis Elements 8 sold stand alone and as an upgrade from Cubasis AI: i.e. £73 - £36 = £37.

As to why not use Aero themes: they put additional load on the graphics coprocessor and I have a couple of graphics-intensive applications that won't run smoothly under Aero. Also, if I run Aero and RDP onto the machine, the resulting terminal window won't do better than 8-bit (256) colour whereas I get 16-bit colour running Classic.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but the folks at Steinberg have given me some good news. Apparently, I can downgrade to Cubase AI 7, which doesn't need Aero, and my activation code will work. I don't know for sure about this because I'm still downloading the DVD ISO. I had some issues at my first attempt to download -- first the server at Steinberg was down and then I couldn't find a link to the required download. One of the guys on the Steinberg support forum gave me a link -- http://support.steinberg.de/ISOs/Cubase_AI_7.0.80.iso -- to the iso, which I hope they won't mind me sharing in case someone else has the same issues as me.

HTH & cheers, Geoff

Last edited:
Back