Cubase or Adobe Audition

Enron_Hubbard

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice...

I currently am using Cool Edit 2.0 for multi-track recording (our drummer has been using it for a while and it just sort of fell into my lap).

I have been fairly happy with it, but we are looking to upgrade soon (it only allows Direct X plug-ins).

I would really rather not have to change our computer platform to Mac so Protools is out.

I have narrowed it down to Cubase and Audition (which is really Cool Edit Pro which was bought by Adobe).

So...considering...

1. We won't be doing any MIDI recording

2. We won't be doing any scoring

3. We don't need surround mixing

4. We will be using MOTO firewire interfaces that allow both WDM and ASIO drivers (Audition does not support ASIO at this time, only WDM)

5. We want to do at least 48 track recording.

Which program should we go with...and...if it's Cubase, which version of Cubase should we get...I'm a little confused about what the differences are between them.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Native vst support is nice. Cubase has killer automation, a better audio engine, native ASIO support, more functional channel strips, better routing, its very expandable and upgradable, better midi implementation (in case that ever ends up interesting you), and a really slick layout. personally, I wouldn't get rid of audiotion either as i think its actually a better 2 track editor (at least for the way i like to work) than Cubase. Is that enough reasons?

Enron,

I used to use Cubase VST. One day I heard a demo of Adobe Audition and decided that it sounded way better than Cubase VST. It was missing some of the features of VST, but on the other hand it had better automation than VST, so I bought a copy.

After being a happy Adobe user for a while I heard a demo of Cubase SX 2. It sounded better than the VST version and had way more options than Adobe and VST had. So I bought it. Now I use nothing but Cubase SX although I'll use Adobe every now and then for stereo mixdowns.

This is all just my opinion of course but the best way for you to form your own opinion is to try the demo's of each. Adobe has (or is about to) released ver 1.5 which I understand now has CD burning, VST support, etc.

Adobe Audtion "tryout" version

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=92

Cubase Demo (It's SX1 but should give you a general idea)

http://www.steinberg.net/DocSupport...cations_pro_pc_en.html&Langue_ID=&Product_ID=

Thanks for all your feedback guys...

Now one last question...what's the difference between the versions of Cubase...SL and SX...right? Are those the only versions available?

SL should be suitable for 90% of users who aren't running a large commercial facility. It basically just limits some of the features like amount of inserts and stuff if I remember right. Plus, I think it actaully turns out to be $1 cheaper to buy SL and then upgrade to SX instead of buying SX outright:))

Back