Cubase and Addictive Drums noob!

paw1

Just switched to Cubase 7 and bought Addictive Drums. Never used MIDI before.

I need to program some drums and wrap a song up before I go on vacation in a few days. Would anyone be nice enough to explain how this is done?
Preferably in a step-by-step fashion.

Best regards,

paw

Do you need multiple outputs from AD, so that you have separate tracks to work with in Cubase?

Already have AD installed and running?

Shoulda waited for a few minutes, before signing out. :)

That's OK, school me:

I am still not "feeling it," when it comes to creating drum tracks.
Do you generally recommend individual outs?
Is it better to program note by note, use pre-recorded clips or learn to play "finger drums" on pads.

Part of my problem is that there are too many ways to do it.

Sparse drums?
Big drums?
Simple drums?
Complex drums?

I'm a guitar player, and I compare it to trying to program all the guitar parts, instead of just playing the damn guitar part on a guitar.

That's OK, school me:

I am still not "feeling it," when it comes to creating drum tracks.
Do you generally recommend individual outs?
Is it better to program note by note, use pre-recorded clips or learn to play "finger drums" on pads.

Part of my problem is that there are too many ways to do it.

Sparse drums?
Big drums?
Simple drums?
Complex drums?

I'm a guitar player, and I compare it to trying to program all the guitar parts, instead of just playing the damn guitar part on a guitar.

Naw man, my response to the OP, was in regards to whether he wanted to use the tracks, as if they were 'real' drum tracks.

He could open AD as an instrument track, and use it simply as a plugin (stereo out). Or he could open it from VST Rack, and have the option to segregate the outputs, to separate channels.

Creating drum tracks, is something that comes from playing drums. What a drummer plays, is what he feels works in a given song. It might be more than what you want (Complex drums), it might be less (Sparse drums). It is a personal touch, just like any other player of any other instrument. Also, it is completely genre dependent. You want a metal drummer, playing Jazz? I don't. Good, and bad ones, for any style, are up to the creator/writer to decide..That would be you. Playing like a drummer would, be what I suggest you try to do first, then try to find someone who can do what you want, in a more natural way..

OR: Get a drummer, or someone who plays one on forums, to play drum tracks for you. If you are having issues with your own playing of programmed tracks, then ask someone to play a track for you, or program a drum track for a song. I'm not sure how to teach someone how to play a drums. It's a drummer thing I guess.

Hopefully, that last comment, did not make you assume that I will play a drum track for you. lol! It really, would depend upon how busy I am, how worthy your tune is, and what color your panties are. Careful here. lol!

I'm a bass player, who plays the drummer role, when I feel spunky.

:)

Thanks, Jimmy.
I know my questions were more appropriate to the drumber forum, but your advice was still much appreciated.

Do you need multiple outputs from AD, so that you have separate tracks to work with in Cubase?

Already have AD installed and running?

Hey Jimmy! Thanks for replying:)

AD is up and running. I can make an instrument track with AD, and the kit pops up in front of me.

What I want to learn is how to trigger the AD-kit with MIDI. Keep in mind that I've never worked with MIDI before.
One thing that confuse me are the volume faders beneath the kit, which do nothing (when klicking the drum-images, volume stays the same).
How am I supposed to adjust their individual levels when mixing?

My plan is to pan the drums across the stereo-field, so individual tracks/outputs is a must.

Last edited:
Naw man, you already have a stereo output from AD. I think we may have a contradiction of terms. Multiple outputs from AD, is just a way to control aspects of each 'instrument', separately from the programs own internal outputs.

AD is capable of doing much of what you seem to need, without setting up multiple outputs.

Are you wanting/using an external controller? If not, you can use the 'Virtual Keyboard' option, to program drum tracks.

Now, it is important to know what it is you wish to do right now. I do not understand what you are doing/and with what, just yet.

Naw man, you already have a stereo output from AD. I think we may have a contradiction of terms. Multiple outputs from AD, is just a way to control aspects of each 'instrument', separately from the programs own internal outputs.

AD is capable of doing much of what you seem to need, without setting up multiple outputs.

Are you wanting/using an external controller? If not, you can use the 'Virtual Keyboard' option, to program drum tracks.

Now, it is important to know what it is you wish to do right now. I do not understand what you are doing/and with what, just yet.

I'm making a rock'n'roll-song, which obviously need drums. I know that I can control each separate drum with MIDI-notation, but I'm not
entirely sure how to connect the MIDI-notation to the individual kit pieces.

Hope this gives you more of a clue of what I want. Or maybe I just didn't understood your question correctly.

MIDI-Notation? I lost you somewhere...

You need to tell us, what you plan on controlling the notes with man. If you do not have a controller, then you can use the 'Virtual Keyboard' thing. Otherwise, just import 'groove' files from AD, and edit them for your needs.

I know you are wanting to get stuff done quick, but that not gonna happen. You really need to do some reading, and experimentation with your software.

As to what you are asking, leaves me to believe that you do not have a starting point, with the software. There is no tutorial made, that gets you exactly what you want. If you read a bit, so you can describe what it is you wish to do, I can hopefully help.

Just give a generalization, of what you have, and what you have tried already n.

In Cubase can you open a MIDI editor and draw in notes with a pencil tool?

Also, Jimmy, is there any reason why it would be better to have individual outs from the plug-in as opposed to a stereo mix done inside of AD?
I'm still trying to decide how to set up my drum kits in my DAW.

In Cubase can you open a MIDI editor and draw in notes with a pencil tool?

Also, Jimmy, is there any reason why it would be better to have individual outs from the plug-in as opposed to a stereo mix done inside of AD?
I'm still trying to decide how to set up my drum kits in my DAW.

Yes, in Cubase 5 and up (I think it was 5), there is a 'Drum Editor', which makes it even easier, than the 'piano roll/MIDI' editor. It is one of the best things about Cubase, if you are programming drums.

Yes, opening a VSTi in the 'Instrument Rack', allows the output channels of a VSTi, to send to individual tracks. Then, you can treat each output/instrument/drum as you would a real instrument/drum/etc...

I often replace the kick drum from AD, with SS Trigger, when making rough tracks. You could also just use whatever you would like, to enhance the individual tracks. AD effects are ok, but not as good as the ones I paid good amounts of money for...Addictive drums-$180. My Waves API collection (2500 compressor specifically), is $250/was $400 when I bought it. You tend to get what you pay for. Well, I hope so anyway....

MIDI-Notation? I lost you somewhere...

You need to tell us, what you plan on controlling the notes with man. If you do not have a controller, then you can use the 'Virtual Keyboard' thing. Otherwise, just import 'groove' files from AD, and edit them for your needs.

I know you are wanting to get stuff done quick, but that not gonna happen. You really need to do some reading, and experimentation with your software.

As to what you are asking, leaves me to believe that you do not have a starting point, with the software. There is no tutorial made, that gets you exactly what you want. If you read a bit, so you can describe what it is you wish to do, I can hopefully help.

Just give a generalization, of what you have, and what you have tried already n.

Well, maybe I have misunderstood this program entirely. My impression was that I could trigger the individual kit-pieces through MIDI-notation.
My plan was to make a notation that would trigger drums throughout the song, kind of like in notation programs, where notes are triggered as you move through the score.
That was how I planned to control the notes.

I will not do any manual triggering, as I don't have any external controller. I planned to program the whole drum track, and as I've stated earlier, I thought that could be done through MIDI-notation.

I'll look into the Virtual Keyboard thingy.

Thanks

Hello paw1,

I think the easiest thing to do will be the following:
Go to Devices > VST Instruments.
On the VST Instrument Rack load Addictive Drums on the first available rack.
A message will prompt asking if you would like to create a MIDI track, click on create.
Now your new MIDI track will be routed automatically to the AD plug-in.
The thing is that the MIDI track is empty therefore you will either need to write down the MIDI manually using the draw tool, or you can use the beat designer tool.
To access the beat designer go to:
MIDI Inserts > Beat designer.

Here you will see a small map of almost all the available sounds, or if not at least the most common ones (Bass drum, snare, Hi-Hat, etc...)

Draw some hits on the available spaces, and you should be able to create an easy beat in a couple of seconds.
Once you have one that you like and want to import it into the project, click on the arrow at the top left corner of the Beat Designer window and select: "Insert Pattern at cursor".
There are many other options I am just mentioning the first one available.

I hope this helps you get your self started.
Best regards,
GN

Back from vacation now. I didn't get to finish the track before I left, but no biggie:)

Guitargodgt and Guillermo N, that's exactly the info I was looking for! Can't thank you enough :thumbs up:

Gonna program some drums now :listeningmusic:

I'm forgetting my manners. A big thanks to jimmys69 who really tried to help me as well.

Greatly appreciated!

Hello paw1,

I think the easiest thing to do will be the following:
Go to Devices > VST Instruments.
On the VST Instrument Rack load Addictive Drums on the first available rack.
A message will prompt asking if you would like to create a MIDI track, click on create.
Now your new MIDI track will be routed automatically to the AD plug-in.
The thing is that the MIDI track is empty therefore you will either need to write down the MIDI manually using the draw tool, or you can use the beat designer tool.
To access the beat designer go to:
MIDI Inserts > Beat designer.

Here you will see a small map of almost all the available sounds, or if not at least the most common ones (Bass drum, snare, Hi-Hat, etc...)

Draw some hits on the available spaces, and you should be able to create an easy beat in a couple of seconds.
Once you have one that you like and want to import it into the project, click on the arrow at the top left corner of the Beat Designer window and select: "Insert Pattern at cursor".
There are many other options I am just mentioning the first one available.

I hope this helps you get your self started.
Best regards,
GN

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend beat designer as the method for workflow over drawing in what you want in the drum editor?

Back