Cubase and Addictive Drums noob!

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend beat designer as the method for workflow over drawing in what you want in the drum editor?

And wait,

GN quote: "To access the beat designer go to: MIDI Inserts>Beat designer" Where is that?

I am curious myself, as to how this option works, but I got lost with your direction. I see no 'MIDI Inserts' to start the process.

Wait, I found it while typing.

For clarity: Click on the 'e' for the MIDI track created, and insert Beat Designer.

I had no clue, as I mostly deal with audio tracks.

Seems weird to me, but much more like my boy's FL studio type drum creation stuff works.

I myself, would stick to the Drum Editor, but I am a drummer. Different strokes.... It may work better for the OP. I can't judge.

Thanks for the optional possibilities GN! Learn something new everyday! :)

I knew about beat designer. Actually all of the midi insert plugins are fantastic and one of the reasons cubase murders all other daws when it comes to midi (I did a video on using auto LFO to create that warble effect in dubstep).

I'm just wondering why it would be the suggested method for workflow when it comes to acoustic drum programming.

Hello guys,

#20 Hi guitargodgt,

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend beat designer as the method for workflow over drawing in what you want in the drum editor?

I think it is easier and faster to create a beat with beat designer than with the key editor. And you need less clicks. It might be hard to get your head around the drum map.

E.g. To create a beat through the key editor:
1. Create a MIDI track.
2. Select the pencil tool, draw an empty event between bar 1 and 2.
3. Set your locators, activate cycle on.
4. Double click on the new empty MIDI event.. ups you have a piano roll on the left... ( I always forget to activate the GM Map even after 7 years of working with Cubase)
5. Go back to the project page, on the inspector activate the drum map right where it says: "No Drum Map". And select GM Map.
6. If you found that small hidden box on the inspector where you activate the GM Map (which I know if you are not familiarised with MIDI you have no Idea what GM stands for).
7. Go back to the empty MIDI event.
8. Select the drum stick.
9. If you are not a drummer and or you do not have much knowledge about music theory most of the time this part is trial and error.

For a power user, it might be extremely natural to use the Key editor, but for a not so advanced user I think beat designer is a great tool.

#21 Hey Jimmys69,

GN quote: "To access the beat designer go to: MIDI Inserts>Beat designer" Where is that?

On the project page, on the inspector on the left side of your MIDI track, maybe you need to enable the view.

I MIDI Inserts.png

Although through the "Channel settings editor" you can get there as well.

I hope this answer your questions. :)

Best regards,
GN

I think it is easier and faster to create a beat with beat designer than with the key editor.

I don't see how it couldn't be if we are talking about the key editor. Programming in a piano roll editor sucks. lol

But I was referencing the drum editor with the AD map loaded. Seems like a faster way (IMO of course) to program drum parts.

But maybe not, can you drag and drop bars out of beat designer onto the sequencer window? The only other downside I see is the limited notes available in beat designer (but if they can be changed and/or dragged and dropped onto the project I would recant that).

#24 Hello,

But maybe not, can you drag and drop bars out of beat designer onto the sequencer window?

Yes, you can.
Just grab the key where your beat is and drag and drop it to the project page.
It will create the beat on the selected bar.

Best regards,
GN

#24 Hello,

Yes, you can.
Just grab the key where your beat is and drag and drop it to the project page.
It will create the beat on the selected bar.

Best regards,
GN

Ah, actually that might be a quicker workflow then honestly. Going to give that a try in the future. I never bothered with beat designer because it always seemed catered to the beat makers more so than acoustic drums.

Hello,

Going to give that a try in the future. I never bothered with beat designer because it always seemed catered to the beat makers more so than acoustic drums.

Well at some degree it is. But not because we don't use it, it doesn't mean is not a god tool ;)
I know how it works and can give you a demo in a trade show etc... but I am a drummer, which means I never use it, I just seat at the drum set and hit record :P

Best regards,
GN

Back