Cubase & Addictive Drums

ThunderDrum

Hi!

I'm totally new here, this is my first post!

I'm recording at home with my band a sort of demo CD and we used Guitar Pro to program the drum tracks, then passed it through Addictive Drums on Cubase and voilá! We play Metal Goth/Doom, many people compare our sound to Moonspell, and they are one of our biggest influences...

We have recorded all the guitars, bass, vocals and keyboards and now it comes the (not so) funny part, the mixing and mastering...

Do you have any tips on how to process drums?

EQ is better to do it by listening to each track only or listening all together and working each track? Or is it a trial and error process and a bit of both ways to get it right? I know there's not a rule, but a little tip, mabe?

I read that Mixing is on 3D, it has the Stereo Pan as the x, the EQ as the y and Effecs(delays, reverb) as the z axis, right? Any help on how to corretly Pan, EQ, and Depth?

Sorry about so many Questions...

hi there, firstly, i am new to these forums too and play/record in a metal band so im sure i can offer you SOME help.

as a drummer i enjoy processing drums, take a look at :

stillwellaudio.com

offer free evaluations of some plugins called vibeEQ and Major tom, these, with a bit of mindless fiddling by me (just turn some knobs and find a nice sound) can actually make your drums sound very nice very easily. baring in mind youve programmed your drums im not too sure how well it will work for the whole kit compressed to one wav or mp3 file but ive found i can achieve a very nice clicky bass drum which is accustomed to what i play, not too sure on your doom metal side of stuff :)

on the other hand, just import them into cubase like im sure you already have and have a fiddle with the reverb and standard eq's on the channel mixer, ive also found that can give you a nice sound but you have to understand the limitations of programmed drums because theyre all in one channel, very much like a standard mixer, i myself have just bought a USB mixer pretty cheap so each drum can be editted and mixed on a separate channel, it would be well worth considering one as they arent too expensive and will serve you very well

good luck and let me know how you get on with this info man!

x

Tnx 4 your tips, I'll give it a try!!!

The AD seems to have a better sound than EZDrummer, but while in EZ I can equalize and use inserts in separate tracks for almos every drum, in AD I only can use the EQ and FX that AD is offering...I'll try just a few tricks but I'm getting them to sound right!!!

awesome man, let me know how it turns out :]

i used to be a frequent user of EZdrummer, the drumkit from hell was awesome, but i think addictive drums is better, although programming really got on my nerves (impatience haha) and i decided to buy mics and do it myself now!

chuck me a link to your music :)

TNX :D

I won't show u the complete mix as we r still deciding if we r going to make an EP or just release a few songs, but I'll post at least a sample soon...it's almost finished...

U sound is very good, I sent a friend request!!!

Do some smooth EQ, just cut around 300Hz, and boost above 6KHz till 10/12...

Cut a bit in between just to check if it improves it...

Do not pan Overheads to max, a bit before to get space for more...

FX...no just a bit of natural Room

Have fun!

Back