Cubase 9 vs Vegas Edit Pro 14

songsj

Hi guys , I currently am using Vegas Edit Pro 14 and am considering switching to Cubase 9. How steep is the learning curve vs Vegas. Are there enough tutorial out there [Youtube etc} to get a person up and running without too much grief. I consider myself an intermediate far from a pro. Vegas is just becoming more and more a video program less suited for audio production.

Tons of videos for Cubase.

Well, as far as the learning curve-it just takes an initial understanding of how Cubase works. Once you get the basics down, it is easy.

I myself have no experience with Vegas, but I can surely direct you around Cubase if needed. Meaning I can give you direct first steps if the videos don't get you there.

Thanks, also I was wondering if Steinberg has sales on Cubase from time to time. I know sony/Magix does and the savings can be substantial. sometimes almost half price. I may also qualify for an educational discount as I work for a state university.

Thanks, also I was wondering if Steinberg has sales on Cubase from time to time. I know sony/Magix does and the savings can be substantial. sometimes almost half price. I may also qualify for an educational discount as I work for a state university.

Never a sale/reduced price for Cubase. But educational version is way cheaper. Google it. I'd give you a link but it daughter time. :)

I don't know about sales, but maybe you don't need the full-blown version. There are stripped down versions for a lower price. Quite honestly, many home recording types don't need everything the full version has. I use the Artist version and it does more than I need. The Elements version does like 90% of the full-blown version and it is only $99usd.

As for the learning curve, yeah, there's a learning curve. I used Cubase for many years then started using Vegas for my videos. I found that after using Cubase, Vegas was very intuitive. It may not quite work the other way around. Cubase has so many options and functions for all different types of musicians that it is easy to get tripped up with what to learn and what isn't important to you. Vegas is more straight forward because the basics of video editing is pretty much the same for everyone.

Cubase can be a little difficult to learn how to set up with interfaces and assigning channels, tracks, etc... but once you get past that part, it becomes pretty easy to use. And there are many people here who are experts with Cubase and are willing to help... Jimmy being one of them.

vegas has never been an audio product - it's a video editor with basic audio facilities, rather similar to how Adobe Premiere can do audio.

Cubase is very well specified, but remember that almost everyone uses it differently and has very specific needs. I'd bet that I use 15-20% of it's features.

You tube videos are therefore rarely much use in my humble view other than for the very basic features and these work quite logically. It has excellent on-line help for finding specific features and operations.

I've been using it since 1994, in black and white on an Atari 520 - and pretty much the basic concepts are the same - they just added feature and feature.

I too would suggest a cut down version 1st - which will do miles more than Vegas - the MIDI features and onboard synths being a very welcome addition. Steinberg do upgrade paths, and going up a version or two is pretty normal price wise, for pro products - Version 8.5 to 9 was I think £80. Go to the Steinberg site and have an explore.

You need to work out what exactly you need it to do?

Back