Cubase 9 Pro Mixing History - does it record 3rd party plugins parameters as well?

Laimon

Hi guys, does anyone of you who already got the new Cubase know (or can check) if the mixing history covers also 3rd party plugins?
The introductory video talks about loading and unloading, but not about changes to their parameters...
Thanks for any help!

I don't see why it wouldn't as long as they are VST3 plugins.

I'm sure I qualify for the grace period but I get cold feet with .0 releases.

Of course it does, depending on what you are talking about. If you are asking I it remembers how you set all the settings on the plugin, yes it does.

If you are asking if it will remember any moving knob adjustments, it will do that through automation.

I don't see why it wouldn't as long as they are VST3 plugins.

Neither would I, but I'd like to know for sure before taking the plunge ;-)

I'm sure I qualify for the grace period but I get cold feet with .0 releases.
I think what matters is when you activate your product; if it is within the grace period, then you can update to 9 *anytime*...namely, when you feel sure problems are solved.
And if that's not the case...well, I'd update anyway, the problems will be sorted out, and the extra features will stay :)

If you are asking if it will remember any moving knob adjustments, it will do that through automation.

Yes, that's what I am asking. I know automation can manipulate these parameters, but then again they could/should have mentioned it explicitly: in fact, mentioning only loading and unloading as opposed to a more generic "works with 3rd party plugins" seems to hint at the fact that they actually don't :\

I think he means the new undo/redo they have incorporated into the mixer now. At least that's my take on it.

I'm upgrading, fuck it. I'll let you know man.

I don't think they mentioned that the plugin parameters could be manipulated with automation is because it is normal and expected.

I have never run into a plugin parameter that I could not automate, going back at least 10 years in Nuendo/cubase.

I don't think they mentioned that the plugin parameters could be manipulated with automation is because it is normal and expected.

I have never run into a plugin parameter that I could not automate, going back at least 10 years in Nuendo/cubase.

Right, I know automation does that and has done it for a long time. But potential new customers are not supposed to know that. If you're selling something, you stress its selling points, and it is weird to me they didn't.

I think he means the new undo/redo they have incorporated into the mixer now. At least that's my take on it.

I'm upgrading, fuck it. I'll let you know man.

Thanks man! That'd be really nice :)
What I think would also be really cool - but I am sure these features are not there, especially for now - is history per track (what if I want to revert changes to my bass after I made other changes to the drums?) and if you could undo arbitrary steps in the history without undoing the following steps (though this might be even too complicated for user to wrap their heads around)

Naw one elicencer works the other doesn't (I have 2)

I opened a support ticket with Steinberg. Basically they said hold tight we sent your issue to Germany. lol

Good thing I wasn't in a hurry to upgrade.

You seem to be worrying about nothing. Mix automation has not been mentioned specifically in any upgrade for ages as it's a feature embedded into files that always need to be loadable into the newer version. It's like when they stopped talking about tempo stuff - because it wasn't any longer a new feature.

He is talking about the new undo/redo system under the mixer.

And yeah I wouldn't bank on me to get your answer. Still no word from Steinberg (and I don't expect one till next week).

Hey.

I just installed 9.

In the history browser in the mixer window- it is still totally linear. I can back up X steps.. but I cannot delete a single step more than 1 step back. If I click any of them it takes me back to that historical point.
No history per track, I don't think. At least not in the mixer window.

Is that what you were asking?
If you want, I can check whatever, too.

Right now.. it feels pretty good. Not a huge departure from 8. Some GUI stuff, etc. No giant flaws- but I run a straightforward system.
My AVID control doesn't work as well.. but I haven't really tried sorting it yet.

Hey.

I just installed 9.

In the history browser in the mixer window- it is still totally linear. I can back up X steps.. but I cannot delete a single step more than 1 step back. If I click any of them it takes me back to that historical point.
No history per track, I don't think. At least not in the mixer window.

Is that what you were asking?
If you want, I can check whatever, too.

Right now.. it feels pretty good. Not a huge departure from 8. Some GUI stuff, etc. No giant flaws- but I run a straightforward system.
My AVID control doesn't work as well.. but I haven't really tried sorting it yet.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Those were thoughts en passant, but my real question was whether the mixing history would record also 3rd party plugin moves, e.g. I change the slope of a bell in an external eq, can I revert that?

Hey!
The answer would be I think no.

I tried a 3rd party EQ, and got no listing in the mixer history.
1st part inserts show up.. but this EQ didn't.

I don't have a lot of 3rd party plugs, though. The one I tried didn't work.

Hey!
The answer would be I think no.

I tried a 3rd party EQ, and got no listing in the mixer history.
1st part inserts show up.. but this EQ didn't.

I don't have a lot of 3rd party plugs, though. The one I tried didn't work.

That sucks :( but thanks a lot for checking that out for me!

Hey wait- I tried some other stuff.. and WITH SOME EFFECTS PACKS it totally works.

So I guess mixed bag.

For the record- EVENTIDE's Anthology shows history, including minor tweaks, on the mixer window history.
Voxengo's CurveEQ.. it does not. It just shows insertion.. no changes.

There may be some tech reason.. but I dont know what.

Hey wait- I tried some other stuff.. and SOMETIMES it totally works.

So I guess mixed bag.

For the record- EVENTIDE's Anthology shows history, including minor tweaks, on the mixer window.
Voxengo's CurveEQ.. it does not. It just shows insertion.. no changes.

There may be some tech reason.. but I dont know what.

That's good news! Awesome :)
Is it possible that Eventide's Anthology is VST3 whereas the other one isn't?

From what I can see its actually the other way around- Curve is VST3, and the Eventide pak is VST2...

so ?

From what I can see its actually the other way around- Curve is VST3, and the Eventide pak is VST2...

so ?

In that case I could not possibly imagine it works with VST2 but no VST3. It is most likely an anomaly of Curve then...

Back