Cubase 8 - problems with mixed audio formats in one project

rob aylestone

Had a snag today with a work in progress.

I'm producing some more theatrical click tracks, and in this case I have been given the band guide track, without vocals, and the studio recordings. The click is my usual sidestick drum sample, with first beat emphasised. one bar of the drum tempo track on the left, then the band start, with the vox tracks synced to the band track so they are lined up properly. The band track gets muted once I've put in the ralls, pauses and up/down tempo - and usually a warning on the click track - to remind the players - typically "tempo" just before the change.

Done this kind of thing for years and am pretty speedy at it. However, today, I have had big problems. Band guide is an mp3 - at 320, 44.1, 24 bit (perhaps a bit odd, but not, I thought, a problem). The studio recordings are as 96K, with 32 bit depth, and when cubase brings in the audio track, as the project is set to 44.1, 16 bit (24 actually made no difference) it does the usual conversion on import. Pressing play and all hell breaks loose - nasty full scale digital noise. Shutting down and starting up again seemed to work, but suddenly it happens again. :Loading in old projects is stable again. I use Sony Sound Forge too - so opened up the files in that, and they play fine. I converted both the mp3 and the 96K wav to 44.1 wavs and imported those into cubase - same instability.

Oddly, I also noted that when I played the files in Sound Forge, Cubase would pop to the front with an error message saying the sample rate had changed - as if Sound Forge had hijacked the driver in some way, and Cubase had detected it.

I have another device in the studio - my X32 Behringer, and switching the driver to that did exactly the same thing, so I know it isn't my audio devices.

I've never noticed this problem before, and I can't understand that even when converted to a common format, Cubase still objects to the audio files. Just once, it actually didn't produce the distortion but doubled the pitch, suggesting that it was trying to play the file at the wrong data rate.

I've finished the project by endless fiddling, but any idea what went wrong?

Yes - that's what I'm wondering, but quite exactly what suddenly upsets it I don't know. This morning, one track that starts with the band track get joined by a vocal after about 30 seconds. The vocal only track is exactly the same length to make sync easy, but the distortion only kicks off as the first bit of voice is heard - the silence that is playing at the start doesn't cause a problem, but as soon as the voice starts, the distortion kicks off. muting that track leaves the perfectly fine band track distorted too - reloading the project and leaving the vocal muted is ok. Something is going wrong with the track. I've tried converting to 44.1/16 in Sound Forge, or in cubase and while sound forge doesn't object, cubase does?

Back