Is Cubase 6.5 still useable?

Barry Ruffell

I've been using Cubase 6.5 for a few years (and before that, Cubase 3): it's always been fine, but I tried to open it today and it didn't want to know. I re-entered my license number which was not recognised. I see from Steinberg's notices that they discontinued supporting version 6 from March this year: does this mean that my 6.5 is now inoperative?

If I need to buy a newer, or latest, version, can I simply upgrade - and will it recognise my earlier Cubase files? And will it work on Windows 7?

I know this is really a question for the Steinberg support service, but I find that a bit tricky to navigate, so I wondered if anyone on this site (to which I'm new) might be able to give me a quick answer.

Well - by software terms, it's pretty ancient isn't it, so the upgrade pricing isn't that much less than full price. For what it's worth, the usual upgrade path most people use involves every new version, and the cheapest price, or every other one, to let others bed it in. Move to three or more versions and you miss out on so much. By the time they stop supporting it - your upgrade will be hard work, so much has changed since then. I will load the legacy files if they are .cpr files - I can't remember when they moved from the old format? Keep in mind that none of your 32 bit plugins will work unless you install some third party bridging software to make them work in a 64 bit environment - 32 bit has gone!

a- it should still work. Not inperative. e-licencer issues?

b- you should be able to use older projects with newer versions.

c- w7 is still supported i think....?

Open eLicenser Control Center and do the Online Sync & Maintenance. That should get it working. Make sure you have the latest version of eLicenser version 6.10.4.1203.

Cubase 9 is now 64-bit only. Some success with J-bridge but the new 'Plugin Sentinel' has made that a pain for many. Not myself as I am all 64-bit and legal.

Cubase has come a long way since 6.5. Maybe try the trial version before upgrading. Nothing wrong with staying with 6.5 if it works for you. If it ain't broke, don't bother fixing. :)

Well, fix the broken part where it won't open . lol

Cubase LE 5 still works here. W7. I don't have any projects from earlier than Cubase 8 due to hard drive crash, but from what I have heard they still load up fine from earlier versions. You will likely run into stock plugs from earlier versions missing on import tho.

Back