Cubase 5 BlueScreen on Run

I don't know. But you can at least go to ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/download/pc/Cubase_VST/Cubase50x/ and download the R6 update, which is the latest. Also, make sure you don't have backround programs running such as a virus detector or the Windows task scheduler. It's not likely these are the problems, but it's all I can think of at the moment and it's somewhere to start.
Might also be related to your soundcard initialization. What sound card are you using?

# Might also be related to your soundcard initialization. What
# sound card are you using?

No soundcard per se. I have a SeaSound recording package, which comes with Cubasis, so it is Steinberg-friendly, I'd think.

From your post in the Keyboard forum, it sounds like your SeaSound hardware was bad and you got a new one. That's good because I was at a loss for a solution.

JimH said:
From your post in the Keyboard forum, it sounds like your SeaSound hardware was bad and you got a new one. That's good because I was at a loss for a solution.

No, the SeaSound's perfect. I had a bad MIDI controller.

The business about the guarantee revolved solely around any future problems and honoring the one-year warrantee after SeaSound vanished beneath the waves.

Tried the R6 upgrade. No help. Same problem.

Installed the program on the office computer and it loads fine, but of course there's no recording devices.

On the recording box, I tried to run the ASIO setup program before running the main bluescreen program, and the ASIO wouldn't get a synch or install properly.

Any thoughts? SeaSound comes with Cubasis, so I thought an upgrade to Cubase would be a snap.

Ha!

Here are some things I can think of:

Have you tried running Cubasis with the SeaSound? Does that work OK?

How are you sure that the SeaSound is perfect? Can you go to control panel and setup the SeaSound as your default wave device for Windows and then get sound out of it that way?

Make sure that your Seasound card does not have any conflicting IRQ and DMA settings. This could cause trouble. If they conflict, try to set the IRQ or DMA to an unused setting. If it will not let you change the setting, then try plugging the card into a different PCI slot.

Since Cubase works at your office computer, try removing the SeaSound driver and card from from your home computer and see if Cubase then starts up OK.

JimH said:
Here are some things I can think of:

Have you tried running Cubasis with the SeaSound? Does that work OK?

Yep, perfectly...runs the demo song just right and everything.

How are you sure that the SeaSound is perfect? Can you go to control panel and setup the SeaSound as your default wave device for Windows and then get sound out of it that way?

Oh, sure. Cubasis works perfectly and I can record and playback, and it routes the (now replaced!) MIDI controller. All .WAV files go out fine, I can run my J-Station from J-Edit through the SeaSound's MIDI I/O and the SPDIF digital from the J-Station goes into the SeaSound card's SPDIF input and through the computer and back out the SeaSound headset amp fine.

The latest thing I tried was doing a clean install of everything on a newly-formatted drive and installing the v3.7 Cubase VST24. It apparently works fine as well, though it seems to handle the Cubasis/SeaSound demo song a little differently - but does its own packaged demo song fine. I can record and playback a vocal track OK...though that's about all I know of the software yet.
Make sure that your Seasound card does not have any conflicting IRQ and DMA settings. This could cause trouble. If they conflict, try to set the IRQ or DMA to an unused setting. If it will not let you change the setting, then try plugging the card into a different PCI slot.

I believe all this is OK. No obvious conflicts or sharing problems in Device Manager.

Since Cubase works at your office computer, try removing the SeaSound driver and card from from your home computer and see if Cubase then starts up OK.

I think it would, as I believe I have narrowed this down to an ASIO problem of some sort. The ASIO auto-config on loading Cubase v5 for the first time seems to be what's crashing this thing. It apparently trashes the registry so badly that no version of any sound recording software will work until the whole OS is deleted and reinstalled. After uninstalling Cubase 5 and reinstalling Cubasis, for example, Cubasis would no longer work.

I figured this out by watching Cubase 3.7 install. Right where it starts configuring and testing the buffers and soforth is where v5 seizes up and wrecks everything. It doesn't even get as far as the option screen.

Why Cubase v5 should have so much trouble with this, I dunno. It is possible that the ASIO in SeaSound is catastrophically incompatible with v5, but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

Thanks for the ongoing help!

Yeah, since Cubasis works, then the rest of those suggestions I made are irrelevant. Sounds pretty bad if you have to totally reinstall the OS.

I think you're right. It sounds like the ASIO driver to me, too. One thing I'd do is post the whole problem on the forums over on www.cubase.net. Maybe you can find someone else who has a SeaSound and can confirm the problem. Since SeaSound has been going defunct, perhaps they never got around to testing their ASIO driver with Cubase v5. That would explain why it works with other software. That's not too likely since v5 came out a long time ago. But maybe they did something in one of the v5 updates that changes things.

If it turns out to be the driver, and if SeaSound still honors their warranty, they should do something. I'd imagine all their programmers are gone. (...assuming they had any. They could have been using contractors.) But if the driver is bad, it's just as useless as if the hardware is bad.

If you try Cubase again, one thing that might save time is to make a backup of the registry. Then you can restore the old one instead of reinstalling the OS. You might also be able find out what changes are happening in tere. Also, I've heard bad things about Windows ME. SE is the best, I think.

Trancemaster

Hi there! This is deffinately a problem with the ASIO control panel. It seems that your soundcard doesn't support ASIO drivers. This is why Cubase will crash/not get through the ASIO setup.

I have had this problem before. I got round it by reinstalling Cubase 3.7 then running the upgrade to V5 R6.

Hope this helps.

Re: Trancemaster

ThA TrANcEMaSTe said:
Hi there! This is deffinately a problem with the ASIO control panel. It seems that your soundcard doesn't support ASIO drivers. This is why Cubase will crash/not get through the ASIO setup.

I have had this problem before. I got round it by reinstalling Cubase 3.7 then running the upgrade to V5 R6.

Hope this helps.

I do too!

OK...here's the latest: The Seasound _definitely_ works with Cv5, as there are people here who say they are using that combo very happily.

SeaSounds DO have ASIO drivers, but these may be problematic for some reason, I'm not sure.

Yep, Cubase VST v3.7 installs and works like a charm.

I don't have an "upgrade" as such, but should I be able to just run an install of regular v.5 and have it sense the v3.7 and accomodate itself to the settings in v3.7 and do an upgrade?

Thanks for any help!

Yeah, that should do the trick. Sorry when I said upgrade, I meant an install of CBV5 over the top, this will then save all your configuration settings too.

I would have a look on your soundcard manufacturer's website too, to see if there are updated drivers. It is not a card that I am familiar with though, so can't really help out much more on that!

ThA TrANcEMaSTe said:
Yeah, that should do the trick. Sorry when I said upgrade, I meant an install of CBV5 over the top, this will then save all your configuration settings too.

I got up in the middle of the night and tried it and believe it or not, it worked! Why on earth you have to have v3.7 to make v5 work, I have no idea...:confused:

I then uninstalled v3.7 and then reinstalled v5 to clear up some apparent confusions, and now v5 seems to be working fine. We'll see. I don't really know how to use it yet.

I would have a look on your soundcard manufacturer's website too, to see if there are updated drivers. It is not a card that I am familiar with though, so can't really help out much more on that!

Sadly, the exquisite SeaSound, child of Tom Oberheim, went bust on 29 June and was struggling to stay afloat for months previously. No new drivers for some time and no support now at all, though they continue to keep the website up.

Great gear, not too great management.:(

Hey no worries! Glad you got it sorted! I think that I would invest in a new soundcard though! Especially if the company has gone bust! Means no further development for your card, no new drivers etc...just having the website active and updated isn't really good enough!

(that's just my humble opinion)

;o)

:rolleyes:

ThA TrANcEMaSTe said:
Hey no worries! Glad you got it sorted! I think that I would invest in a new soundcard though! Especially if the company has gone bust! Means no further development for your card, no new drivers etc
Nah, I just bought this. It's a fantastic deal and a _great_ unit for right now at $299. Nothing at twice the price touches it. It was around $900 originally. All the drivers and ASIO are good and stable, just not updated for WDM and a few other things I don't really need now anyway.

Next year, when a whole new generation of stuff's available, I'll probably upgrade (like everyone else, though they don't know it yet:D), but for now, this is perfect for what I'm doing, which is LEARNING. The fact that it's an integrated unit saves a beginner like me TONS of grief. This Cubase hassle is nothing compared to what I'd be going through trying to get a lot of different parts and incompatibilities straightened out.

No, I knew SeaSound was folding before I bought this and took advantage of the situation. No regrets; it's a beautiful unit with great features and sound, especially. The only drawbacks are the paucity of channels (without the Expander module) and its orphaned status, but I can live with those.

I use a J-Station (which has just had a major new upgrade released today, see the Guitar/Bass forum for my thoughts on that) and it will forever be Win98SE-only, so the SeaSound's limitation to that OS isn't that much of a sacrifice. I use Win2000 on my office box, but a simplified Win98SE installation on the dedicated recording computer is viable.

Glad to hear you got it working, bongolation. That's an odd thing---having to install over v3.7 to get it to work. But at least it works. I hope it stays working if a new version of Cubase ever comes out. *crossed fingers*

JimH said:
Glad to hear you got it working, bongolation. That's an odd thing---having to install over v3.7 to get it to work. But at least it works. I hope it stays working if a new version of Cubase ever comes out. *crossed fingers*

Yeah, and note that this fix was suggested by someone who had the same problem with completely different equipment! I've seen this fix mentioned a couple of times elsewhere, too.

Funny, huh?

Hola Bongo!

I think I've chatted with you before. I just read of your adventures with Seasound and I wanted to touch base. I just bought the last Solo Ex in St. Louis ($299 at GC) and am looking forward to putting it to use.

I am going to be using a Cubase 5 setup, but haven't actually bought a computer yet. I've put it off and it looks like stuff will get even more insanely cheap in the next few months.

My question is, what computer do you use? I've heard enough to know that the PIII chip is the way to go. I also heard the AMD Athlon is ass, but the new Thunderbird chip for AMD is awesome. I'm building around my new Seasound card and interface, so I have a chance to do this with a minimum of compatibility problems, so whoever can tell me of their experiences is more than welcome.

Thanks a bunch and keep rockin'---Stinky

Back