Cubase 5 for beginners: Click Problem

Grandioso12

Hi there, I am new to the forum. I only have Cubase 5 from years ago and I also have a tiny USB interface for my laptop.
So my mission is to set up my stuff to record some demos of some new songs (he he he).

But just here to start with: The interface is my device In and Output so I can listen to the track (via interface headphone output) and have my Amp In via LINE IN...

BUT: my laptop microphone does not turn off. No matter what I am setting for in and out... How can I regulate that... I am a newbie in recording, with minimal gear :P

Then the other thing: My click in the recording session is either ON WHILE I AM RECORDING and then RECORDED and if I turn it off via the options then it isnt in there AT ALL?

How come and could someone help me out?
Cheers Folks,

Peace Love and Harmony!

Grandioso12

Thanks a lot for evrey help.

Wow. I can try and help- but I am not running Cubase 5.

That said- this sounds like a routing problem.

Lets start front the beginning-
1. What interface are you using?

2. Are you using any of your laptops built-in jacks and things? It reads like you amp is inputting there, and not this USB device? If so, what gives with the USB device's input?

3. Why not use a modern DAW, since you are kind of starting fresh? People love Reaper- and it's cheap. Maybe you love Cubase5.. but most people who are 'stuck' with 5 are because they have a cracked version. No judgement- but Current Reaper is better than cracked C5, imo. But If you just have a bunch of old projects you wanna get- lets sort it out :)

lets work it out.

Yeah I think so too... thanks for your answer and for taking your time. Very apreciated though I have been trieing for sooo long now to get it going. I have been moving a lot and also have two kids. But where a will is :-)

So. Answer to

1.) its called: Monoprice Pro Audio Series, 615808, 8 Channel USB Interface, its just 4 XLRs and 4 Jacks + a cable that plugs into the lap top, via USB>
2.) No not really. Only when I am routing the lap top soundcard for in and outs.
3.) I would think about it defiantly. But I would like to give it a go at least :-)

PS: I have spend days just routing the stuff right, but even if I did route it the way I could, it would still not turn off the in built speakers?

Thanks a lot
Grandioso12

Sounds like you have not selected the interface in Cubase or in Windows.

Oh no, this interface does not look ideal for anything from what I just looked at. It doesn't have a audio driver of it's own. Just Windows drivers and the PDF manual is even deceiving, vague, and inaccurate.

Personally, I would use it as a door stop and spend a few bucks more on something that is viable. That is not me being arrogant in any way. Just honest...

That being said, Cubase should work when the correct device is selected.

Time for more info: OS, Cubase update version, Laptop manufacturer, blah blah..

:)

Some of those USB mixers will route the playback channel back through the USB stream. They are intended more for recording a live gig rather than as a recording console. I haven't look into the details of your particular model, but that's probably what is happening.

Here are some tips:

Don't plug any audio jacks from the laptop to the mixer. Just the one USB connection and that's it.

Try ASIO4ALL if the mixer doesn't have its own ASIO driver.

Go into the Windows Audio properties and turn down the mic.

If you don't get satisfactory results, then use it as a doorstop and buy a better interface. Hint: You don't need a mixer for home recording.

OK- Another question: Have you totally disabled the laptop's microphone?
I would start there in the Windows Device manager.

After that- can you screenshot your Cubase VST CONNECTION settings? Input and Output?

Back