Crosspost- Groove Agent MIDI output is off-tempo

camn

Hey. Sorry for the crosspost.. but nobody over there knows nothin.

I have a really weird problem, and I can't figure it out.

I have been using Nuendo and Cubase for a LONG time, but I am new to Groove Agent.
I want to use the Pattern modes.. especially the Acoustic Agent, and output a midi file.
I am running Cubase 9 Pro with Groove Agent SE4 on a custom Win10 machine. .. but I had the issue under 8.5 as well.
There are no hardware or memory issues. The rig is solid.

I set everything up, I am able to record GA'a MIDI output.. but it is off, tempo wise.. sometimes. It has random beats that are off by just a touch. Less than a 128th.
I have checked and double checked my Quant settings and such.. but I can't find any that are on. And it doesn't put the beats on-time or anything.
There seems to be no pattern. It isn't certain samples or certain patterns.
If I do it twice, I don't even get consistent variations.

Please Help!
I feel like I am missing some 'humanization' output setting or something.. but I am not.
I don't want to just drag patterns in.. because I want to actively adjust the complexity settings and the like during the recording.. and have granular control after. But I need the MIDI output to match the actual output.

I've attached a screenshot of the problem.
drums.jpg

It is two midi files..
Lane 2 is the pattern I am outputting through GA.. dragged over. When I solo it, it plays perfect.
Lane 1 is the recorded MIDI output.
You can see in the top the summation of them.. and every few beats there are double hits.
It is not just humanization.. cuz it sounds awful. Plus.. I made sure there wasn't any randomization or humanization on initial playback.

Can Anyone help? If you can even just try and reproduce it.. It would help my brain.

Thanks.

Last edited:
In case anyone had this problem- It is solved.

I switched audio interfaces.. and it cleared up.
The Driver? Asio4All. Not that that caused it.. it might have been gremlins.. but its fine now. Well.. almost fine. It comes through with fixed latency- but I nudge it and it's perfect.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I would have suggested looking at your buffer size and/or hardware driver though.

Glad you figured it out.

I certainly never figured it out- it just cleared up with new hardware.
Which is kind of baffling, since the whole signal chain is in the box.
But so it goes!

Hardware drivers, clock speeds and buffer sizes are the cause of like 95% of problems people run into in home recording haha.

It's almost like "turn it off and turn it on" for computers only those 3 are the default for home recording.

Back