A couple of cubase 5 problems

benherron.rrr

Hi guys ive got just a couple of cubase problems/questions i could use some help with.

Please dont flame me because im new to this.

Ive just bought myself a new computer for my music work. ive been using cubase 5 for about 6 months now and getting on will with it.

my first question is about loading VST instruments, ive recently bought spectrasonics trillian i install all the DVD's into the STEAM folder that i created in program files, and install the .dll file into the cubase vst folder but i cant open the player, there isnt any signs that anything has installed. for your imfomation i installed the .dll into programfiles>steinberg>cubase5>vstplugins. but there is also a programfiles>steinberg>vstplugins. i have to install the 64 bit and 32 bit in different places and im not sure what im doing wrong, i have the same problem with the kontakt player. however ive installed XL addictive srums and that works perfectly.

also when im using a line 6 toneport ux2 for audio recording and i can hear the guitar or voice when ive got podfarm open, is there any way that i can listen to it just in cubase?

Thanks for your help

Sounds like you put the .dll in the right folder. You have to tell cubase to re-scan the folder whenever you make changes.

Sounds like you put the .dll in the right folder. You have to tell cubase to re-scan the folder whenever you make changes.

Ahh that maybe the answer, however its a bit strange since, addictive drums and EWQLSO. appeared streight away, i know its a bit of a noob question but how do i rescan the folder? I've tried opening and closing cubase by the way.

Sorry, I use Sonar and Samplitude, but I am sure Cubase works the same way, just not sure of the exact method. Probably should have a menu where you tell it the path to the vst folder and that should have an option to re-scan.

Yeah, as far as ive been able to find out is that cubase scans itself upon start up. ive found the list of plugins and tried to update from there but no luck. trillian is my main problem, as i downloaded the free kontakt 4 player from the ni site to see if that loaded up ok. to check that investing in Komplete 6 would be worth it. again its funny that all my pluggins are in the exact same place some of them work and others doesnt. could it be an installation problem? should i get rid of the 32 bit versions? also i know trillian doesnt have an external player, does it make any difference that it doesnt show in my programs list?

There's a flag! What do you mean get rid of the 32 bit versions?

If you are running the 64 bit version of cubase, 32 bit plug-ins won't work. In Sonar 64 bit, there is a piece of software called bitbridge that lets you run 32 bit plug-ins in 64 bit Sonar. I don't know if cubase has the same thing?

well ive tried loads of methods to try and solve this problem, one of them was to install both 64 bit and 32 bit versions, another to just have the 64 bit file and the last just to install the 32 bit version to see if that solved the problem. im fairly sure cubase 5 is both 64 and 32 bit compatible. im running windows 7 64 bit so i presume everything is running at 64 bit. this has been really annoying me for 3 weeks now. im sorry im quite new to all the technical stuff.

Hi, you can manually select the VST's folder. Going to basics, to update the plug-ins information you have to go to Devices --> Plug In Information... then click Update. If your problem doesn't solve, click on "VST 2.x Plug In Path", there are the VST folders.

Like you said, you are running Cubase 5 64 bits so, the default folders for the VST's should be "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2" & "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugings". But sometimes the VSTs are saved in this folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2" & "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugings". If that's the case, you have to add those folders.

Hope this helps.

Hi, you can manually select the VST's folder. Going to basics, to update the plug-ins information you have to go to Devices --> Plug In Information... then click Update. If your problem doesn't solve, click on "VST 2.x Plug In Path", there are the VST folders.

Like you said, you are running Cubase 5 64 bits so, the default folders for the VST's should be "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2" & "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugings". But sometimes the VSTs are saved in this folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2" & "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugings". If that's the case, you have to add those folders.

Hope this helps.

Ahh i just tried doing that and kontakt has showed up but trillian hasnt. everything is installed in the programfiles (x86) should it be installed in the programfiles? would it be better if i reinstalled everything changing the the destination to programfiles instead of the (x86) one?

Ahh i just tried doing that and kontakt has showed up but trillian hasnt. everything is installed in the programfiles (x86) should it be installed in the programfiles? would it be better if i reinstalled everything changing the the destination to programfiles instead of the (x86) one?

Yes, but with what i said, you avoid the re installation. Do what you think is better for you.

Yes, but with what i said, you avoid the re installation. Do what you think is better for you.

Yeah i think i will just reinstall everything as i have had a few minor glitches with other thing this might kill two birds with one stone. ill post back if this doesnt work.

i would just like to say thankyou to everyone who has tried to help me.

Firstly, when you look at the vst list, is the thing actually there? This will at least show you if cubase is finding it. Don't forget that the dll file is not the only bit you need, sometimes the vst needs the other components in the same directory, you can't just copy the dll and have it work. Many, of course, do. But those that then need to load samples may fail. I have an old colossus sampler and moving the files around on a drive almost guarantees it won't work until you reinstall it. I still have sx, cubase 5 and 7 on my system, and now I am on 8, I have cubase scan all the old directories for vst plugins and I think there are around 8 locations now, but every now and then an old song won't play properly because it can't find things.

Take the 64 bit dll and copy it to every vst folder you can find that has plug ins installed, and see if cubase picks it up. You may also discover cubase vsts in places you don't even expect. In the vst list you can see the locations, make sure you try all of them. The only time I installed 32 and 64 bit versions of the same vst, neither worked, and with one version of Kontact player, it made cubase hang in startup. If cubase is 64 just use the 64 bit vsts and don't install the others. This will be something really silly - I'd bet you find the vst in the list, but discover it's not shown as active, could be as easy as a tick box!

Back