Converting stereo TRACKS to mono

Slowjett

Hey guys. recorded a few sessions with about 10 stereo tracks per session. the tracks SHOULD have been mono but I wasnt paying attention when I made the template. the files are mono, but the tracks are stereo. so when I use an insert it only applies to the left channel of the track. How do I convert the TRACK to mono from stereo?

thanks!
josh

Set the markers at either end of the file on the grid, then Export>Audio mixdown, choose the track you are wanting to convert as the output, and make it a mono track. Check the box to export it to both the audio pool and a new track (I can't remember the exact syntax). You'll get warning that you'll be converting a stereo track to a mono track, just click ok or yes or whatever and let it export. A new mono track should appear on the project with a mono version of the file.

go into the pool, right click on the track and hit convert file. You then get a pop up box letting you convert the sample rate, bit depth, stereo to mono etc.

Last edited:
lemontree;
the wav files are mono. the tracks that contain them are stereo so that wont work.

legion; I guess I could try the mixdown approach. was looking for something less involved ;)

go into the pool, right click on the track and hit convert file. You then get a pop up box letting you convert the sample rate, bit depth, stereo to mono etc.

Wow. *slaps forehead* I never knew about that.

lemontree;
the wav files are mono. the tracks that contain them are stereo so that wont work.

legion; I guess I could try the mixdown approach. was looking for something less involved ;)

If the files are mono and the tracks are stereo, can't you just create new mono tracks and drag the audio into them?

If the files are mono and the tracks are stereo, can't you just create new mono tracks and drag the audio into them?

If you do that you can copy and paste your channel settings on the mixer view into the new mono channels from the corisponding stereo one you're moving the file from. That'll save you if you already have EQ settings and stuff in the inserts and sends.

also, holding down the CTRL key while dragging the file into the new track will keep it locked in place and save you any timing/phasing issues.

I totally hit the wrong button man. I'm sorry. I tried leaving positive feedback afterward, but it wouldnt let me rate you again!!! lemme try again..

... nope wont let me!

Back