computer noise/noise gate latency

saturdaysaint

Hi everyone, just getting into Cubase and I'm wondering if you guys know of good ways to filter out computer noise. I'm keeping my NT1000 as far away from the computer as possible (and pointed away), and eventually I'd like to get some real isolation going, but what is there in the meantime? The noise gate introduces a bit too much latency for my tastes. I just read an interview with one of Stevie Wonder's engineers that said he uses some sort of filter to remove air conditioning and ventilation noise. I'm wondering if the same is possible within Cubase software.

I master my Cubase tracks in Soundforge, and Soundforge 6.0 came with a program called Noise Reduction 2.0 that basically does what your talking about. You can set it to sample the frequencies of the noise heard before the audio starts and then it goes in and gets rid of the noise without affecting the audio, supposedly. I say supposedly because I haven't needed to use it yet so I can't vouch for it personally, but yes there are programs out there that can do that.

Back