Cant un-render a session, please help?

lapier77

I rendered a session as one event/complete signal path/mix down to one track. I did this so I could allow the person I was working with to hear it in mp3. Plus I wanted to hear how it was going from different stereos in the house on cd and start writing lyrics. Thing is, I was not finished and the drums are midi. So now it will not allow me to change anything in the session. Notes show up, but make no sound. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to un do what I did?
Thanx! Newbie guy Scott

What you are saying doesn't make much sense. Making a mixdown doesn't change anything in the cubase session. It's just a mixdown of what's there.

Did you save the session, close cubase and restart the computer? If not, that is where I would start.

It sure doesn’t make any sense! I did close and re-open it about three times. This is what was going on: I backed the file up in its own folder on my desk top. When I open the document folder, the only track that played or allowed me to do anything was the rendered track. All the other tracks stayed in grey. I got rid of the problem by opening the last back up folder before I rendered the session and saved that. But, that’s how I had to do that just in case that ever happens to anyone else. Thanx man! Guess I just didn’t think I would need to do that….

What file were you trying to open in the folder?

In order to open the session up, you need to open the .cpr file. The folder that the .cpr file is in should have the audio folder, an images folder and maybe a couple other folders that have all the files for the session. If you moved the .cpr file away from where it was to begin with, or moved all the subfolders that contained the actual audio and midi info, the session won't open correctly.

When you hit 'save' in cubase, all you are doing is saving the session information. All of the audio, video and other files are in different folders. So if you move anything away from where the session is looking for it, the session won't open correctly.

What you should do when you create a session for a song is:
1. create a folder with the song name.
2. open cubase and create a new session. When it asks where to create the session, point it to the folder you just created.
3. make music.

If you want to move the song to a different hard drive, back it up or move it anywhere, you will need to move the entire folder with the song name that you created for that session. That will contain everything necessary for that song.

My bad, I meant that I back up the project in it's folder on my desktop. I think you mean "prompt for location", then select desired folder. I guess it would be a lot easier to show someone what is going on there.

Yes. As soon as you hit "new project", it opens up the window that let's you select the location that you want the session to live.

It's explained in the manual and probably the quick start Guide. But the only thing that you have to wrap your head around is that the .cpr file doesn't contain any of the audio. It just contains pointers to the audio files, edit info, etc... if you move that file without moving the rest of the folder, nothing will work.

Back