can't hear punch in

mudcat

I can't hear punch in unless monitor is off. If monitor is off, then I can't hear what was recorded before the punch in? Help Please...cubase

I'm not familiar with Cubase, but some on here are. You might have more luck if you could describe your problem in greater detail.

What I think you are saying is this: When you try to record a punch-in to an existing take, you can either monitor the input from your microphone, or hear the previously recorded take, but not both.

If this were Reaper, I would suggest looking more deeply into you track sub-menus. You might be looking for a function such as "overdub" which would allow you hear both the recorded take and the input. I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right toggle to click.

hmmm i don't understand your problem quite well but in the transport tab when you press F2 there is punch in at the top and punch out at the bottom BUT you can set them differently right next to the 2 buttons where you have the option for that. If i just want to punch in and stop the recording myself then i push top button and when im over i push spacebar or stop with my mouse.

I really dont know if it helps since i don't even understand the situation. Ok bye

In Cubase, go to File>Preferences...>VST. From the drop down menu for 'Auto Monitoring' select 'Tapemachine Style'. This will automatically change the monitor status for you when punching in/out. :)

Thank you so much! I've been puzzled about this for a while now.... Now wondering what the disadvantage in tapemachine style is? Thank you again!

Back