buying a new computer to run cubase

dtoons

hi~
my computer just died and i am looking to buy a new computer to run cubase sx. should i go with a duo core amd or the core duo2 from intel? i use a presonus external soundcard and am hoping to not tax the cpu so much with my tracks and plugins. thanks in advance

A couple months ago I would have been screeming AMD. It's what I have, but at present I would have to say that the Core 2 is the way to go, unless you feel that the slight increase in price is not worth it. By the way, I would prolly go with an X2 on the AMD side, not a M2.

Either of you two guys got a reason other than "Best processor on the market right now" or "Core 2 is the way "? Is it the aerodynamic body or is it what's under da hood? Come on man, his name is dtoons, not cartoons. :D

20% faster than everything else on the market. Its a no brainer: AMD FX-62 (the best they have) ~$850, Intel Core 2 Duo start at $185, so do the math

I'll quote Toms Hardware:

Conclusion

First of all let me sort the facts: As soon as Core 2 Duo hits the market, it will...

* be the fastest x86 processor (both single and dual core models)
* make the Pentium D and all predecessors look like antiques
* be the clear choice for performance users despite its rather expensive price
* outperform the complete Athlon 64 family (X2 and FX) in all areas, including gaming, where AMD has traditionally been very strong
* consume less energy than other standard desktop processors
* transform the whole Intel platform from an energy-hungry beast to a reasonable solution that is competitive in terms of performance per Watt

I recently built a core 2 dou 6600 system for cubase and am so happy I did. I can run 5 times the plug-ins as before on a pentium 4 2.6 ghz. No hype....this thing is the real deal.

Back