Building a computer specifically for Cubase from scratch

anppilot1

Hey guys. I am upgrading to Cubase 5.0. I talked to a Steinberg rep today, and we decided for my needs, Cubase 5.0 would be fine. Which what I want, is better performance than I have with my 3.7r2, stability and not crashing all the time. He said Cubase 5.0 is perfect since I can run it on windows 2000 which is not RAM limited to 512 MB unlike win 98. It will support alot more than that.

SX? No. I dont care about doing video with it and yada yada yada. Besides I hate the Graphic User Interface of SX. And the rep said besides the GUI, importing video and the audio engine being the same as Nuendo, theres really not much difference between 5.0 and SX. Cubase 5.0 is still being used in profitable home/project studios, and some independent labels here in Dallas.

With that said:

I am ditching my PC which I had Cubase 3.7r2 on which was a P3-500 with 512 MB RAM and Win98SE. I built a AMD 2GHZ computer with 1 Gb of DDR RAM with Win 2000. Prefered requirements for Cubase 5.0 is 400 MHZ, 128 MB RAM.

Is there a such thing as TOO fast? TOO much RAM? Where Cubase 5.0 would NOT work because of excessive RAM or CPU speed?

I guess what I'm saying is will Cubase 5.0 only work on a system with a 400 MHZ to 900MHZ (900 being an example) system board and not respond to anything faster than a certain processor speed, making my 2GHZ chip usless? And the same thing with the RAM. Work well with 256 MB RAM to maybe 512 MB, rendering anything over say 512 usless?

I don't want to sound like a idiot, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time by putting Cubase 5.0 on the new PC, and should just put it on my old P3-500 board with 512 MB RAM.

What do yall think?

1. Does my new computer setup sound like it'll smoke the old 3.7 setup?

2. How much of a difference will I notice from the old setup (p3-500 512 MB RAM) to the new setup (2GHZ AMD 1GB RAM Win 2k)?I mean at least in numbers, I am doubling the RAM, and the processor speed will be 3 times what I have now.

3. Would the CPU usage be 3 times LESS of what it is now? I'm in the red, almost pegged out, and I'm using 12-17 stereo tracks with reverb, chorus, Anteras microphone modeler, and compression.

4. Will I be able to get more tracks out of the new computer and not crash so often?

By the way, I am currently using a M-Audio w/Omni break out box. I would like to upgrade to a Delta 1010 (someday in the near future after I get my T-45 transmission rebuilt on my Cobra) Dreams....ah... :)

Sorry for the long winded thread, but I'm running my studio for profit now 3 days a week 13 hours a day. I get by pretty good, but 3.7 crashes hard sometimes. It's embarrasing and doesn't look professional when it happens.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Your new computer should be a big improvement over your old one. You will definately be able to get more tracks and more effects than with your old one. There is no "CPU speed" barrier, you will get full use out of your 2 ghz mobo.

The only thing I would change is your operating system. I have heard many complaints about windows 2000, where windows XP when finely tuned (ala www.musicxp.net) handles digital audio recording with ease.

Good luck and enjoy the new setup!

Back