Best way to create a new project from 1 song already in another project

ozrock

I have Elements 8 latest. Win 10 x64

What is the best way to create a new project from 1 song already in another project.

The original project has about 30 songs and I just one in another project. It has 10 tracks which I want in the new project.

Thanks

The original project has about 30 songs and I just one in another project.
In Sonar here but I'd suspect the same basics apply.
Make back ups of everything.
Reopen and 'Save As the proj to this new project's name.
On this new proj, highlight and strip everything but this song. If the song is one out of a continuous recording, drop in head and tail markers and make 'splits so you can isolate this section you want to keep, and strip'.
'Save and now this is your new one song proj.
Both projects [might? Again I'm not in Cubase here] still use the original big multi song data folder/path.
In Sonar they have a 'Consolidate Audio that saves and makes a new folder with just the new proj data.

Remember- 'Save As' copies (with a slightly different name - I use the original name plus the 'back-up's date), -stored on different drives- are your back track paths if anything goes astray.

Last edited:
In Sonar here but I'd suspect the same basics apply.
Make back ups of everything.
Reopen and 'Save As the proj to this new project's name.
On this new proj, highlight and strip everything but this song. If the song is one out of a continuous recording, drop in head and tail markers and make 'splits so you can isolate this section you want to keep, and strip'.
'Save and now this is your new one song proj.
Both projects [might? Again I'm not in Cubase here] still use the original big multi song data folder/path.
In Sonar they have a 'Consolidate Audio that saves and makes a new folder with just the new proj data.

Thanks.. Yes this is a proven method as you say, buy I thought maybe another way.

Still this is fine.

Have a great day

Well there is 'exporting each track, then importing to a new blank (or not) project.
But then you do have to decide if, and how much or little of the original project's tracks -and/or main bus treatments, levels etc you want to include (effect') these track stems.

I'm not quite sure what you mean - you are creating a project with multiple songs in it? Has Cubase got some kind of Adobe like sequence nesting in it I have never found? Or do you just mean multiple songs, one after another in a huge timeline? If I ever do this, which for me would be extremely rare, I'd just go in, chop out the unwanted sections and then save as - being aware that some components might be in a different folder - audio files that had the "copy to the project folder" option selected when first created.

HI,

Yes one long timeline with multiple songs I have split up.

Yes I have just done that suggestion.

Many thanks

oz

Back