Audio dropouts during recording/playback

Herpaderp1

I keep getting audio droputs in Cubase when trying to record, also during playback, and it usually occurs within the first 30 secs - 2 mins, and never later than 5 – 7 mins without a dropout. ASIO time usage meter looks fine than indicates a quick random spike hence dropouts.
It maybe began sometime in the last 4 – 6 months and I worked around it/ignored it, but now I’m working on something where it’s essential there are no dropouts during recording/playback at all.

The track itself has very few plugins enabled (delay and amp simulator, one guitar track), and it ran fine last summer, along with several larger projects with more plugins enabled.

Have run latencymon several times and seems to vary in response (sometimes claims it is fine, other times claims execution times are too high – even though problem is consistently there). Audio card is always set to lowest latency, but even when tried it with higher latencies still got problem.

I’ve checked audio interface drivers are up to date, also graphics display and network adapter, and I’ve made sure power options are set to best performance, and have tried running program with internet/adapters and antivirus disabled, but the problem still persists.

Specs:

Windows 10 64bit
Novatech PC
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-core Processor 3.50 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
System: 64-bit, x64 processor
Disk: 128Gb SSD drive (system), and 2Tb hard drive
500w power supply

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Audio Interface/Soundcard: TASCAM US-1641
Cubase 5 Studio

Have spent a while tinkering with a few things and am inclined to think it’s something interrupting or bottlenecking the disk processes (that developed in the last 4 – 6 months), but I don’t know how to isolate the problem or what to do next, and am reluctant to move onto more significant actions and potentially cause more damage until I’m clearer about what the problem is (i.e. reinstalling windows, deleting all restore points to free up room on the SSD, reinstalling Cubase on the 2Tb drive, messing around with the BIOS/registry, buying new software/hardware etc.)

If anyone has any advice or solutions for this then I’ll be eternally grateful as I’m pretty stumped now and going crazy trying to figure it out!

Many thanks

Back