ASIO 'upgrade' for Cubase AI4

EZWriter

In the hopes of getting my latency issue resolved I downloaded a 2.8 version of ASIO here. http://www.usb-audio.com/

I have Win 7 running Cubase AI4 and using a Yamaha Audiogram 6.
The new ASIO was so crystal clear it blew my mind and it lowered my latency to like 11 ms but I still got a creepy echo when adding guitar or background vocal so I decided not to buy and uninstalled the program. Now I still get the demo 'beep' every thirty seconds on my computer EVEN WHEN CUBASE IS TURNED OFF... Weird. I emailed the company for support but apparently they're in Denmark and may be out for a latte and a bowl of ganga. Can anyone here help?

dont know anything about them.. but your being able to hear the asio is better is absurd... time to school yourself... thankfuly you're in a good place to do that... in almost all cases the asio from the manufacturer is the best you'll get for their prog... and why not?? theey know the tricks for their prog... the only alternative i've evr heard of working well is asio4all never used it myself... but have heard of guys even getting multiple interfaces working good...

Excuse me. Perhaps we're having terminology issues. I should have perhaps said USING the new ASIO driver the sound was light years better. But I've been a musician for over 35 years and I know clarity of sound when I hear it. Especially when it's the difference in a horn tooting and a concert hall. Now, I'm NOT a technogeek so it's possible that installing the new ASIO driver changed something not related to the ASIO and THAT was responsible for the sound quality I suppose. Asio4all wouldn't work (apparently win 7 issues) but this http://www.usb-audio.com/ version of ASIO did. Unfortunately once you install their demo it takes over for the manufacturer's ASIO, then when you try to uninstall it it leaves the 30 second beep and you have to delve deep into your computer to get rid of it. For that reason if no other I say buyer beware on this product. I will add, however, that their tech department emailed back and forth with me for some time to get rid of it, so in the future I may still be upgrading to it. What I was looking for was an ASIO that would allow direct monitoring on an Audiogram 6. Apparently there isn't one.

Acording to the Yamaha website the drivers are for OSX 10.4 and above or xp/vista 32 bit. Nothing about windows 7 on there that I can find.

What are your computer specs with that latency? have you tried increasing the ASIO buffer size within Cubase AI4?

As long as you are monitoring direct what you are recording there should be no latency.

I'd go back to the yamaha driver, forget the 3rd party stuff and have a read at the manual again. Check your buffer size, I'm sure you have missed something somewhere along the line.

Excuse me. Perhaps we're having terminology issues. I should have perhaps said USING the new ASIO driver the sound was light years better. But I've been a musician for over 35 years and I know clarity of sound when I hear it. What I was looking for was an ASIO that would allow direct monitoring on an Audiogram 6. Apparently there isn't one.

agreed there might be issues with terminology...

and not really lokking to start a pissing contest but have been known to participate...

asio does nothing to the audio... all it is is a cmunication protical for the interface and the prog to do it's thing...

i too have been doing thius for sometime... theory comp degree.. yrs on the road etc... am also a pro tech though that is admitedly hardware...

as to your issue with direct monitoring... this also has nothing to do with asio... it's a function of the interface... where the audio is mixed in the interface and output immediately (couple of clock cycles) as it also sends to the puter unmixed files... make sense??? so look to that yamama manual to see if it's supported...

Acording to the Yamaha website the drivers are for OSX 10.4 and above or xp/vista 32 bit. Nothing about windows 7 on there that I can find.

What are your computer specs with that latency? have you tried increasing the ASIO buffer size within Cubase AI4?

As long as you are monitoring direct what you are recording there should be no latency.

I'd go back to the yamaha driver, forget the 3rd party stuff and have a read at the manual again. Check your buffer size, I'm sure you have missed something somewhere along the line.

I'm confused. When I LOWER my buffer size from the original setting of 2048 to 512 the latency goes DOWN according to Cubase. Should I be RAISING the buffer setting instead? Also, the ASIO that ships with the Cubase and Yamaha Audiogram 6 doesn't have the option of direct monitoring (it's grayed out as a selection). I'm sure you are correct that I missed something. So far I just haven't found it.

agreed there might be issues with terminology...

and not really lokking to start a pissing contest but have been known to participate...

asio does nothing to the audio... all it is is a cmunication protical for the interface and the prog to do it's thing...

i too have been doing thius for sometime... theory comp degree.. yrs on the road etc... am also a pro tech though that is admitedly hardware...

as to your issue with direct monitoring... this also has nothing to do with asio... it's a function of the interface... where the audio is mixed in the interface and output immediately (couple of clock cycles) as it also sends to the puter unmixed files... make sense??? so look to that yamama manual to see if it's supported...

Unfortunately the Audiogram 6 'manual' is 14 pages with a lot of graphics taking up space to make it look like it says more. I was surprised that when I plugged it in my Win 7 didn't find it except as a generic audio input device so perhaps we're onto another issue. I wonder if there is a specific driver for the AUDIOGRAM I should be looking for. Does that make any sense at all?

I think I might have found the problem, Demented....

When I installed there was one little view that told me to download the updated Audiogram 6 drivers! Over the past week, what with installing, recording, etc. I FORGOT that during the install process I visited the Yamaha site and got a Server Maintenance in Progress, Please Check Again Later message. While searching for drivers just now I finally found the page again! Guess what?
Still same error message. I think I'll be trying to contact Yamaha... Thanks.

the lower the ASIO sample rate the lower the latency will be.

For tracking I have mine set to 32 samples or 1.24ms for mixing I'll bump it up as high as 256 samples or 6.3ms latency. Your computer spec will determin the exact latency time.

I need mine that low to track drums although personaly I could track guitars and vocals with a higher latency. The better the drivers are writen the lower the ASIO buffer size and latency you'll be able to achieve.

For tracking I have mine set to 32 samples or 1.24ms for mixing I'll bump it up as high as 256 samples or 6.3ms latency. Your computer spec will determin the exact latency time.

I need mine that low to track drums although personaly I could track guitars and vocals with a higher latency. The better the drivers are writen the lower the ASIO buffer size and latency you'll be able to achieve.

Thanks. Part of the problem was my learning curve again. I figured I could just play and sing a track and then add everything to it. Didn't bother with the metronome or figuring out tempo... Once I learned to record that track with the metronome everything got easier by half.

Yeah, tweaking the sampling buffer just seems to be a way of life with the current generation of hardware and software. It's new to me, since I started out in the 80s when it was 100% MIDI; not a PC in the world was capable of multitracking digital audio.

I hate having to switch between settings (because I'm afraid to switch things back when it comes time to mix/record), so lately I've started strictly using external MIDI instruments when I am recording musical parts, so there is zero latency when I'm trying to actually play the stuff. Then, after the part's done, I can switch the MIDI track over to a VST if that's the sound I really want.

Also, my interface supports "Direct Monitoring" in Cubase, so for audio tracks like vocals, I can record with near-zero latency in the headphones, which makes things much easier as well.

Also, my interface supports "Direct Monitoring" in Cubase, so for audio tracks like vocals, I can record with near-zero latency in the headphones, which makes things much easier as well.

Same here but I have a set of Roland V-Drums triggering Superior 2.0 within cubase so I need that 32 Sample latency time, any higher than 64 Samples and the round trip puts just enough drag on to confuse any half decent drummer.

Back