Am I stupid?

Stevedel

Is it only me that cannot deal with the software e-licenser for Cubase Elements 8?

I was using Essential 5, but was offered the Elements 8 as a download for half price.

Sure isn't worth the trouble. I think that I have a copy of Protools SE somewhere.

Maybe it's just lost in translation.

I'll rephrase that, I can be stupid at times. Hewlett-Packard proprietary software didn't help either. (Finally got POed enough to hit the Best Buy and pickup Windows 8.1 Pro to do a clean Windows installation.)

I finally figured out the new e-licenser and even got the computer to recognize all of the M-audio C-600 channels.

I actually did load Pro Tools SE and decided that it wasn't for me. My evening of frustration (not all due to Steinberg registration codes) is over and I can get back to pretending to be a musician.

Elements 8 is going to have a lot more features than SE. I can't believe pro tools SE is even a thing to be honest.

apart from the thing losing sync every now and again, the system works well enough for me - never had any problems with it, apart from one licenser dongle that was duff, and then it let me transfer the licenses to a different one.

I was using Essential 5, which needed a dongle, and had no issues. (Other than losing a USB port.)

I bought the download version of Elements 8, at 1/2 price, direct from Steinberg because I had registered a copy of LE in the past. Elements 8 has many improvements over the other two so I jumped at the opportunity.

Upon entering the activation code. I was told that my activation could not be completed because of an out of date something or other and I needed to download a new copy of E-licenser, which I did. Trying to activate a second time, I was told that activation could not be completed because the code had already been used and I would need to follow another procedure to activate Elements 8.

I decided to re-install the Windows 8 that came with my HP laptop. The installation failed on three separate attempts. I ran out to the local Best Buy and purchased a new copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and the installation went off without a hitch. The HP software package has 4 disks and was not even included in the original price of the computer. The Microsoft version uses but one 64-bit disk (also included is a 32-bit disk) and installs in a very short time. The HP version seems to take forever. I, again, tried to install Elements 8 and, following the Steinberg instructions, there were no further issues.

I am left with a 700 page users manual and a lot of stuff to get up to speed on. Elements 8 really is loaded with features.

I'm glad that the issue is resolved. I really didn't want to abandon Cubase.

Last edited:
I'm not a MENSA member or anything close to it but have been dealing with computers for quite a long while. (Sinclair, Commodore 64 and 8088 on up.) What we have now is worlds away from the first versions of DOS or Windows. My 1st attempt at multi-track recording was with a 464 Tascam, MTS-30 synchronizer, Roland SC-155 Sound Canvas, A-30 controller and early Cakewalk software.

I can say that perseverance can, almost always, overcome unclear documentation. One can, however, never discount software "bugs".

Am I stupid? Who knows, but after looking over some of the documentation, Elements 8 is an incredible value. Even at full price.

Last edited:
You are not stupid... Software from different manufacturers can drive you insane in the way they work. Different strokes...

And yes there are still some bugs with Cubase C8. Most of them are minor but a bunch of it seems more related to how Cubase works with your particular setup.

For instance, my 5 year old I7 2600 self built PC was starting to show some signs of failure. Unrelated to Cubase upgrade to 8, but I felt the need to start over with new build.

I had heard of others having issue with ASIO spikes that I did not have on the old PC. I was running W7 Home Premium, 32-bit Cubase 8 full version. New build has Cubase 8 64-bit.

Then the new build had several issues including dropouts and ASIO spikes. Something I had no issues with on the less powerful PC. This was upgrade to W7 Professional, I7 4790k, 16GB ram and SSD OS drive. Fresh install.

I got rid of the ASIO Spikes by flashing my BIOS, but the strange audio dropouts continued. Even just playing audio via Media Player. Drove me friggen nuts and even had an 'in home' tech session for two hours and he couldn't figure it out.

Last night I went to the site for my MOBO and downloaded the Chipset driver for W7-64. Smooth sailing now!!! Fingers crossed :)

Sometimes it is just the right combination and patience that it takes to get things right..

I'm sure that there will be frustrations as I get my setup (what our British friends refer to as) "sorted".

Hopefully, it will be an enjoyable journey.

Everytime I update Cubase or need to reload, I use the maintenance function in the E-Licenser software to get it to work properly. PITA if you ask me. Be sure never to lose your Steinberg login info. Almost always need it.

Back