adjust buffer settings to remidy crackle?

funksoulrubber

when i have to much compression on my multitracked drums there is a click, at 512 buffer rate and the latency is like 20ms when i lower the buffer to 96 the latency goes to 2ms and there is less harsh crackle but the sound quality all around becomes terrible i have a p111 851 mhz w/384 mb of ram with knothing else on the cpu except cubase and soundfoarge..

help

i want to get the buffer up to atleast 512 with 2ms latency is that possable?

i dont know if this will help.
but search under my name and read my past posts on dma checking and memory, and other tips.

funksoulrubber said:
.... i want to get the buffer up to atleast 512 with 2ms latency is that possable?

No!
The higher the buffers the higher the latency.
Try raising the buffers up higher .... say like 1024 and don't worry so much about what the latency is reported at.
If your just playing back tracks and adding effects, latency shouldn't be much of an issue, other than your computer acting a little un-responsive.
However, if you are trying to do live input processing, input monitoring or playing a VSTi in real time, then high latency can be a pain.

funksoulrubber said:
when i have to much compression on my multitracked drums there is a click, at 512 buffer rate and the latency is like 20ms when i lower the buffer to 96 the latency goes to 2ms and there is less harsh crackle but the sound quality all around becomes terrible i have a p111 851 mhz w/384 mb of ram with knothing else on the cpu except cubase and soundfoarge..

You are getting horrible sound quality because the lower the buffer the more it taxes the CPU. Your RAM seems to be at an OK amount, but overall you still have a P3. You should think of upgrading soon.

i want to get the buffer up to atleast 512 with 2ms latency is that possable?

I have my buffer set at 1024 and I am down to 20ms of latency (which is fine for me). There seems to be no significant delay when using VST instruments and stuff. I wouldn't try to push your current computer system to a 2ms latency, for sure you might have severe problems when trying to run a bunch of stuuf simultaneously.

Hope this helps.

i tried it on 1024 and it works for improving playback quality but

ok thanks alot for the help, your right i really dont hear much difference in the latency when im playing back and adding effects so it really is better to have it at 1024 with 20ms, but i still get this random click like i touched two speeker wires together,its sounds fine and then it just cuts, the reason why im confused is that i had it working smoothly before with these plugins active then i saved it, when i opened it up again to show someone it was clicking all over the place. is it something with my computer or maybe the settings got changed somehow?

thanks again for all your help

funksoulrubber said:
but i still get this random click like i touched two speeker wires together,its sounds fine and then it just cuts, the reason why im confused is that i had it working smoothly before with these plugins active then i saved it, when i opened it up again to show someone it was clicking all over the place. is it something with my computer or maybe the settings got changed somehow?

I think it has something to do with your CPU, the more tracks you play and add EQ, Effects, Compression etc. the more it will tax your processor and you only have a P3 with 851Mhz. Which version of Cubase are you using?

Back