Acoustic Guitar Recording

blake95

Hey Everybody,

I have some questions regarding recording acoustic guitars with my Cubase Le4 software and my Presonus firebox. I have a midi drum track so far,
and now am trying to record my acoustic. The levels on the drums are set and are not clipping. When I record my acoustic, the channels are set as high as they can go on their individual tracks, but it is not giving me a good volume. In order to hear the guitars on the recording at what I think is a good volume, I have to turn the knobs for line 1&2 on the firebox almost all the up, making a hissing nose in the recording. How can I get a better volume from my guitars without that hiss?

Here are some more details about the equipment I'm using:

Apple MacBook
2 Shure sm57s for the acoustic guitar, each on a stereo track with one panned left, the other panned right
Livewire mic cables

Any help on this would be great. Thanks!

you want the average levels to be hitting -18dBFS, and peaks around -10dBFS to -6dBFS but only the very loudest peaks, make sure it's 24 bit to lower the noise floor, this should create a far better sound.

Simply turn the drum tracks down and your headphones up and you should have more than enough volume, in cubase pro 8 you can always use the control room volume when there isn't enough headroom.View attachment 93367

Back