How to Layer Tracks-Acid

smithc

Hi,

I just recorded several tracks in Acid. When I record a new track, I know how to make one or several of the other tracks play simultaneously while I am recording. BUT it doesn't come out on the new track. I want the new track to ALSO record the previous track that is playing in the background. What should I do?

Thanks!

Well normally you wouldn't want the previous tracks to be included in current tracks. The purpose for this is to have the ability to edit each individual track as you see fit.
The normal method of working with a project would be to record all of the tracks separately. Then once the song is completed you would do a mix-down .... click file>Render as .... then name the song and save it as whatever file type you wish (normally Wave). This way you still have all of the original tracks in case you ever decide to re-mix the song.
You can also do mix-downs in the event that you have a great number of tracks that begin taxing your computer to the point where you develop playback issues.
In that case, you would render the tracks you have and start a new project using that mixed-down file as the first track and continue building your song from there.

HTH

-Ken

P.S. If you really want each track to be included in the next track, you will have to select whatever recording device your soundcard calls it's input mix device in the Recording properties. Soundblaster calls this "What U Hear" other cards may call it something like "Stereo Mix".

Back