Acid Music 3.0 vs Acid Pro 4.0

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
I'm wondering what the primary differences are between Acid Music 3.0 and Acid Pro 4.0. I know for sure that Acid Pro is out of my price range, so I was wondering if Acid Music 3.0 would suffice. I've heard it's a good idea to record at 44,100 and at a higher bitrate, and I know that Acid Music 3.0 will let me record at 44,100, but limits me to a 24 bitrate (I think that's right).

Anyway, could someone please explain the primary differences, and please bear in mind that I'm still VERY new to digital recording.

With Acid Music you will be stuck to pre-recorded audio. Acid Pro 4 allows you VSTi support so you can use virtual synths in it to create your own sounds. There are more effects in Acid Pro, automatable effects, effect envelopes, the chopper (loop slicer/dicer thingy) and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

I started with Acid Music about a year and a half ago and got quite a bit of use out of it for about 3 months before I found myself wanting more. Once you upgrade you won't regret it and will wonder how you got by in the first place.

I would suggest though, that you look around because you can find Acid Pro 4 these days for suprisingly cheap. Don't buy into what is on the Sonic Foundry website $400? yeah right. I guarantee you that you could find it for $150 or less (especially if you are a student).

If that's still too much, I might suggest looking elsewhere such as Magix Music Studio or Cakewalk Home Studio which, I believe can be found for less than $100 and can do significantly more than Acid Music. Try out the demos and see for yourself what gels with you.

Well, the only thing I'm really going to be using it for is recording multiple tracks, adding drum beats, and simple mixing. I really don't need anything fancy as of yet. I just want to be able to record 5 or 6 (or however many) tracks, and mix them (maybe volume, pan l/r, removing noise, basic stuff that SoundForge does) and save as a WAV format.

That's really all I need to get started.

Do you mean recording Mutiple tracks at once or one at a time? Because in Acid (music or pro) you can't simulaneously multi-track. But if you are just recording one track at a time, you will be alright.

What I want to do is record 1 track at a time.
For instance, I want to record my drum track, and while the drum track is playing back, record a bass track, then play those two back and record guitars, and repeat the process until I have as many tracks as necessary in the file, then I can tweak them to my liking then save them as WAV.

Bear in mind that Acid Pro 3 was not really designed to record full tracks (I.E. 4-5 minutes). I'm not sure about Acid Pro 4. It will do it but may choke every now and then. There is also a disclaimer in the manual stating this. It was designed to record with the purpose to make a loop. Record a short section, trim it, make sure it plays in perfect sync, and place the loop where you want it to play in the track. Or, copy and paste it. I do it all the time.

Acid Pro 4...

To choose the Pro 4 would be a wise choice or just use N-Track and stop all the confussion and pay $50 and its a wonderfull program. Acid pro 4 is a better than expected type program but yes is more expensive. :)
Dan

I've updated Acid ever since it came out and personally, I feel that Acid 6 is the only one worth dealing with now. It's the first that'll let you record multiple tracks in among other things. I think it's the only 24 bit as well.

but wait . . .

i just wanted to use acid for the loops and make "looped" tracks - is tha still worthwhile? where do uget decent loops from anyhow? my friend gave me acid4 for free - but i have no significant source of loops . . .

Back