VS-1880/CD-RW Compatibility

pandaw1

Hi All

I've recently bought a VS-1880 and I want to utilise the mastering and CD backup functions. I already had a Yamaha CRW8424SXZ SCSI CD-RW and assumed I could use this with the VS. So far however, I haven't managed to get it to work. The VS seems to acknowledge the CD-RW at boot up, but if I try to use the above functions the VS tells me "No CD-R Drive". When I access the Drive Select option, the VS lists the Yamaha under it's model number but has "unknown" after it. I've tried everything I can think of (new cable, SCSI ID's, terminator position etc.) but just can't make it work. I've contacted Roland support but have had no response. My suspicion is that the VS only contains drivers for certain CD-RW's. Has anybody any advice on how to make this work? I would be extremly grateful for any thoughts and/or assistance.

Thanks and best regards

You are right. The VS-series only have drivers for the Roland drives. But since they don't manufacture their drives themselves, you can get along with buying a drive from the same company as Roland buys them, and just writing 'roland' on it yourself. :D

The Roland drives are just plextors or whatever they put in nowadays, with another box around it. I have a plextor 8220 hooked up and it works just fine. Look on the web for more compatible drives... There are other brands too... (The older drives were Sony, if I remember correctly...)

Back