VS 1824CD v. Yamaha AW2816

Treeline

This may end up as a double post when the system wakes up. My apologies in advance...

OK, so I'm conflicted. I want a dedicated machine, but I don't want to leave the computer entirely. Let's have at it. If you were to make the purchase again, what would you do the same / differently?

How does the sound / onboard effects compare?

Is the Roland really cranky to learn?

How about file transfer protocols? Can I burn individual tracks on either machine and keep working with them on a computer with, say, n-track? (I know there's a 16 bit limit with CD transfer, but can it be done?)

How about direct connectivity?

What kind of online support communities is the Yamaha creating? Between this place and the VS Planet, the Roland has quite a head start in that department.

Helppp....:p

High!

The yammies seem to have some problems with power being switched off while recording...

I ended up buying a VS1680 instead of the 2816, but

I already own a VS, so I might use them both simultaneously and I know the user interface
I don't wanna mix on the PC

IMO the VSs are nicer with FX, but the 2816 has no data compression, and an excellent dynamics section (compared to the VS). As I use ompression a lot, that would have been it, but the 1680 was soo cheap...

The VS (except 2480) won't give you the possibility of processing tracks in the PC without having MUCH pain.... The 2816 seems to be REALLY ok with this. Another thing: uncompressed mode is only possible with 16bit (and if I'm right 8 tracks) on the 1824...

Maybe I could help...

aXel

Back