VS-1824CD failes to write disc

iLuvbase

I just got this 1824 about 2 weeks ago - and am familiar with tracking from using a 1680 previously - however when I used the 1680 I only did the recording on it, never the mixdown, master, and burn.

My issue is that I have recorded all the tracks - mixed them down to the 2 stereo master tracks (17-1 and 18-1) and have tried to go ahead and burn them to disc, but it always says "function failed" once I try and write. I haven't placed any track markers, or anything like that - just recorded a couple of tracks - used the Mastering Room to dump them to the 2 tracks, which do play perfectly fine when checking Mplay feature and listening to them, and then selecting those 2 as the stereo pair when I want to burn.

once to the CD-R writer screen - it appears as

44.1k MTP
Lchannel 17-1 V.T 17-1
Rchannel 18-1 V.T 18-1

Marker : 0
Length 4m 39s
50 MByte
IDE Free >2146 MB

then the right side shows
Finalize : Off
Write Method: Track at once
CD Speed - x4

Disc: Blank Disc
Track: 0
Used: 0 MByte
Free: 846 MByte (though it's really only a 700 MB disc)

The only thing i've noticed so far - is that although it is a VS-1824CD, the IDE shows all the partitions to have a 1680 format. And I happened to look at the export song section - and it only lists the ability to export to 1680 - not 1824.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

The default for master tracks on the VS-1824CD is 17-16 and 18-16 - might that be the problem?

No - when I mixed down i specified it to vtrack 1.

Just for grins - I took the recorder tonight to my buddy that has the 1680 and a SCSI CDRII - he recorded a track, mixed and mastered, and tried to burn - just like he does on his 1680 - and the write still failed. I'm beginning to worry that the burn portion of the CDRW drive is bad - but it reads and captures audio from CDs just fine - just won't write.

Unfortunately he didn't have his CDRII available so i couldn't hook it up and see if it would send the burn to that drive - but I'll check that friday if I don't find a solution before then.

I have a 2480DVD that used to exhibit the same type of behavior...

I have run a CD optics cleaner through it (seemed to help some) but haven't had a problem at all once I stopped buying the cheapest blank CD-R's on the shelf (Memorex in my case)... Even though those CD's worked fine in my computers, the drive in my 2480 didn't like recording on them.

Paying a couple $$$ more for better quality blanks seems to have taken care of the issue for me.

Hope this helps!

:)

Is it possible the unit will not burn to CD-RW and that is the type of disc you are using (or vice-versa)?

Yo Base! I recorded an entire album on a VS1824CD, and this is one where I think I can help. First, get a CD cleaner disc and clean the lens in the CD-R drive. Then, go to Guitar Center or get on line and buy some high quality CD-R's, preferably by Taiyo Yuden. Microboards work fine. The 1824CD is wicked picky about what media you feed it, and tech support at Roland actually hinted to me that the CD-R drive was modified precisely to reject Chinese CD-R's. I'd pretty much bet a week's pay that your problem is the CD-R's you are using.-Richie

Yo Base! I recorded an entire album on a VS1824CD, and this is one where I think I can help. First, get a CD cleaner disc and clean the lens in the CD-R drive. Then, go to Guitar Center or get on line and buy some high quality CD-R's, preferably by Taiyo Yuden. Microboards work fine. The 1824CD is wicked picky about what media you feed it, and tech support at Roland actually hinted to me that the CD-R drive was modified precisely to reject Chinese CD-R's. I'd pretty much bet a week's pay that your problem is the CD-R's you are using.-Richie

Finally got it to burn. Verbatim 74 min/650 MB - 4x-12x CDRW disc. Only a disc problem, just as you said. Thanks.

Back