Using VS-2480 with HDMI external Monitor

VartRecords

Hi there!
Many years I have been using Roland VS-2480 with conventional external video monitor.
Recently I bought new "LG 29UC88-B UltraWide IPS LED HDMI" Monitor and was supposed to use it with VS-2480.
I tried different ways to connect my DAW to monitor, but unfortunately all my efforts were unsuccessful.
I tried VGA to HDMI converter, but still cannot get a picture.
Does anybody have any idea if it is possible at all (and how) to connect HDMI monitor to VS-2480 VGA output?
Any replies will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
VLAD

I have heard of an upgrade of the vs2480 to usb 2.0 which allows the tracks to go your DAW. Your computer holding the DAW may accept the HDMI HD screen. Any idea where I can find the Roland update from vs1 to 2.x . Saw this usb 2.0 on Reverb a couple weeks ago. 8/2022.

Hi there!
Many years I have been using Roland VS-2480 with conventional external video monitor.
Recently I bought new "LG 29UC88-B UltraWide IPS LED HDMI" Monitor and was supposed to use it with VS-2480.
I tried different ways to connect my DAW to monitor, but unfortunately all my efforts were unsuccessful.
I tried VGA to HDMI converter, but still cannot get a picture.
Does anybody have any idea if it is possible at all (and how) to connect HDMI monitor to VS-2480 VGA output?
The Output resolution is a very low 640 x 480 - so HDMI adaptors won't work - A Convertor Box that scales may work - but again that 640 x 480 is pretty low - nonetheless you could try something like the VideoSecu PC VGA Video Audio to HDMI Upscaler Converter which would probably work.

I have heard of an upgrade of the vs2480 to usb 2.0 which allows the tracks to go your DAW. Your computer holding the DAW may accept the HDMI HD screen. Any idea where I can find the Roland update from vs1 to 2.x . Saw this usb 2.0 on Reverb a couple weeks ago. 8/2022.
I've emailed the seller of that USB 'upgrade' for the 2480 asking him to post a demonstration video. His response was 'it's plug and play, no video needed'. Seems to me that of it really worked, he'd be happy to provide a video, and he would sell a boatload of them.

That said, I doubt this assemblage will work for us.

~dk

I've emailed the seller of that USB 'upgrade' for the 2480 asking him to post a demonstration video. His response was 'it's plug and play, no video needed'. Seems to me that of it really worked, he'd be happy to provide a video, and he would sell a boatload of them.

That said, I doubt this assemblage will work for us.

~dk
Thank you. Plug n play huh. Record it happening and show it. I have the same thoughts. Why not do that and sell a bunch.

The Output resolution is a very low 640 x 480 - so HDMI adaptors won't work - A Convertor Box that scales may work - but again that 640 x 480 is pretty low - nonetheless you could try something like the VideoSecu PC VGA Video Audio to HDMI Upscaler Converter which would probably work.
I have things that output video at 640x480 and it work with HDMI. The monitor should sense the resolution and automatically adjust.

I have things that output video at 640x480 and it work with HDMI. The monitor should sense the resolution and automatically adjust.
But probably not analog video. Vga is analog and hdmi is digital, that's why the adapter didn't work.

BTW, the original post was 5 years ago. Hopefully the OP found the answer or moved on by now.

Not 640x480 - I believe that is too low for HDMI - at least with the Roland VS-2480 - I should add that it is the Refresh rate which won't work - which VGA 640x480 is something like 31.5 Khz / 60 Hz - 37.9 Khz / 72 Hz- and 37.5 Khz / 75 hz - those have to match up - and why you need the Scaling Convertor Box.

Last edited:
Back