Standalone DAWs impact on Project studios ?

How would you record your demo song?

• Software package (pro tool, logic, cubase)

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Hardware package (VS 1680, AW4416 etc)

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Hire project Studio

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Tape based system

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

justinmstretch

With the arrival of new technology such as concept to CD Daws (roland VS Yamaha AW), musicians are now more empowered than ever when it comes to recording and producing their own material. As this technology becomes more accessable and affordable than ever, will there be as much demand for the studio engineer? The producer ? etc
I am currently writing a dissertation on this subject and would appreciate anyones views on the impact DAWs are having on the record industry, particulary project studios.

I think there will still be a need for engineers and such. I would think that there would be definate impact though on small individual studios due to the fact that many musicians can now record demos and good quality c.d.'s in their own homes. However, in my case, as i'm sure it's the same with some others, I would rather not have to deal with tweaking all the knobs and going through the trial & error of recording myself. It's not a big deal though as it is more cost effective to record my songs on my 840ex than pay a studio to do it. I guess what i'm saying is that there will always be a need for professional studio engineers but the technology will most likely drive some small studios out of business. There will still be people that will want to just pay someone with more experience to record it for them.
Hope this random reasoning helped at least a little.
good luck

John seems to hit most the points I've thought of, but I'm not "in the industry" so my opinion isn't worth a lot.

Professional demo's or releases take time and the skills of a talented audio engineer. Most musicians, I'm inclined to assume, don't have: the patience, the money, or the motivation to do all this when you can get better results by using pro's to take care of the technical details. As popular as this BBS is, the vast majority of musicians probably don't give a squat about all the new technology, in the "home studio" arena, is my guess.

-Shaz

2 cents

I think that any of the smaller studios can stay afloat as most bands cant afford to string their instruments let alone set up a home studio that they can record in effectivly.I own a vs 1880 and some mics (8),iiiiiiiiiI also am in 5 bands and I can now record them all where as before I wouldn't have been able to ,add to this the fact other bands have come to me to record them,this is because I can come to them in their space to do this. But with small studios they have all you need in one place taking the logistical problems out of the loop and experience to give you good advice with out the trial and error of inexperienced engineers(me) making mistakes with their art. I guess that its horses for courses and how much hands on stuff the bands want to do. It would be different for solo artists who dont have neanderthols(drummers ) and their noise to deal with.Also what home studios have good acurate monitotring that can be listened to at a good working volume

Thanx for the reply folks !!

Thank to Johndavidstuts, Shazukura and rocky outcrop for your replies, there's a heated discussion going on under the microphones post the title is I want to know how & were you record your demos. Feel free to join in !!!

What you have is a alot of people able to record that would have never before done so. Those same poeple are also the ones who would not be able to afford a pro studio anyway. However, the artist that can afford a pro studio and are go enough will find there way to one regardless.

It seems to me that the more money and time I spend on recording the more I realize the skill and amount of gear needed to do it right. I am going to record my band in the next month or so but I don't think I will be able to get the results I want. I look at it like this, we will get experience working together to make a recording, I will gain experience as an engineer, and it won't cost us anything.(well at least not them as I own all the gear). I still think if we are ever going to try and produce something commercial we will need to go intoa real studio.

We're (I'm) recording our next CD on a BR-1600, no studio this time. I know that I'll do a great job because I've been planning and using my ear. We're not looking to get signed but to have a CD for our fans and to sell on the Net. We had 1500 copies of our first CD and sold them all.

The DAW that can make a CD isn't the only part of the potential impact of home recording on commercial recording. There was always some way to record away from a studio. the CD DAW has made it easier to get to the final medium, but there's a lot in between a device, that can create a part of a product, and all the rest of the process that is the same for both home and commerical studios. Those are the real issues with which we are all struggling.

Back