Roland VS-2000-CD

JustaBassist

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and have been jumping around to find a place like this. I have some serious thought with the 2000 and 2400 VS series. I would like to know the pro and cons between the two, why you bought one of the two, which one would you recommend for someone who is just starting out doing home recording (like myself), I'll be recording my band in a 2 room building (WxH1xPeakxL) 25'x10'x20'x60' and will probably end up hooking up one of our mixers to add more tracks then just record those as stereo. But I would like to know which VS would be best in my case. I'll be using at least 7 mics on drums, 7 at the most, then do a live preformance with bass and guitar so the drummer can play along with us, then overdub the bass and guitar later along with vocals. So thats roughly 15, 16 channels we will be using. So thats cutting it pretty close to the limit with the VS 2000, would that be fine or would the 2400 be more suitable. Money is a bit of a issue so IDK, I would the to get the VGA and that expansion effects board which will be a extra 600 bucks.

So basicly, what do I choose, what should I look for when purchasing these type of VS borads, and most important, how well will be results be. Could they be disappointing with a 3000 dollar unit?

TIA,
Matt

Hey Matt,

You might want to check out www.vsplanet.com very helpful bunch of vs users. Myself I have the vs2000cd outfitted with - vga card, v8sf-3, & ua comp plug, I am still learning my machine had it for about six months now. The sound quality is fine to my ears I bypass the roland pre's by using a art di/o. I would love to have the vs2400 but cost prohibited me. I am just a lone recording artist therefore the 2000 fits my needs and fell within my budget. Good luck in your search and imho either one will due ya fine.

LaRoc

JustaBassist said:
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and have been jumping around to find a place like this. I have some serious thought with the 2000 and 2400 VS series. I would like to know the pro and cons between the two, why you bought one of the two, which one would you recommend for someone who is just starting out doing home recording (like myself), I'll be recording my band in a 2 room building (WxH1xPeakxL) 25'x10'x20'x60' and will probably end up hooking up one of our mixers to add more tracks then just record those as stereo. But I would like to know which VS would be best in my case. I'll be using at least 7 mics on drums, 7 at the most, then do a live preformance with bass and guitar so the drummer can play along with us, then overdub the bass and guitar later along with vocals. So thats roughly 15, 16 channels we will be using. So thats cutting it pretty close to the limit with the VS 2000, would that be fine or would the 2400 be more suitable. Money is a bit of a issue so IDK, I would the to get the VGA and that expansion effects board which will be a extra 600 bucks.

So basicly, what do I choose, what should I look for when purchasing these type of VS borads, and most important, how well will be results be. Could they be disappointing with a 3000 dollar unit?

TIA,
Matt

Matt, I have done alot of research on these units, and I have yet to come across anyone who has had a problem with either units. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the pre amps aren't that good. That seems strange that NOONE has a complaint, but anyway, my drummer works at a local music store. He asked a Roland rep to come in with the VS 2000 to let me hear the pre amps. He said the biggest problem was people were comparing them to Avalon pre's, which isn't a fair comparison. He did a small demo on the VS 2000, and no the pre's aren't Avalons, but you know what............they ain't bad!!!

Now as far as which one to get..............that's a great debate! I can't afford the VS 2400, so that made my decision for me, my 2000 will be in next Wednesday!!!!!! If your wanting to record 15 or 16 tracks at a time, you will HAVE to get the VS 2400 AND the SI-4 expansion board which has 8 extra inputs. ( I think it's the SI-4, or SI-24, or something like that!) The expansion board is about $400 or so dollars. It has motorized faders, the same as the VS 2400 (VS 2000 does not :( ) I think I saw the set on zzounds.com for like 2900 bucks or so. If you got the money, go for it!! You can ONLY record 8 tracks at atime with the 2000 and you can't use the expansin board with it. Hopefully this helps.

Yes, your help has helped me to make a better decision on what Roland to get...2400 ;) . I have been wanted to do home recordings rather than go into a studio, it just feels right. I have the space, money, time, and a band, so I just need a decent quality recorder. Looked into the computer DAW world, studio mixer recording world, well the SMR world just seems more efficient in my case, and plus I hate tinkering with computers!! Don't need that extra stress.

Well I have decided to go for the 2400 and get that expansion board along with the VGA monitor deal and such. For a pre have you heard or used the M-Audio DM3 2 channel preamp? The reviews I read are excellant on that preamp, J/W what other people would say about it.

Well thanks for your time and good luck with your new 2000.

Buy it!

I own a VS2400, you won't be disappointed. I love it. Roland had an offer for a FREE expansion board (2 more effects prossesors) you might see if the dealer you are getting it from gives you that, also, they should be able to sell it to you for about $2400.00.....
Don't let the size of the manual (small phonebook) scare you. This unit is very easy to use, especially with the VGA monitor.

Doug

Last year it was going on from July to December.
I would call a local dealer and see if Roland still has that offer, I didn't see it on their site, but they are promoting the VS2000 now, to bad no automated faders on that one. I got mine from Guitar Center.

Ok, I found a site the has a great deal on the VS 2400/SI-24 extended package, 8th street.com. I think I rather do that than but from a guitar center...too damn expensive.

Hey JB,

Check out the vs planet classifieds, I think someone is selling theirs also you might want to check out www.bpmmusic.com. Email or call dwight, I am in no way affiliated with bpm music just a happy customer. Several guys on the planet recommend him for gear purchases.

LaRoc

Back