Roland Rubix 24 without computer?

colorado_hick

I had a presonus 2x2 that I finally passed on and am looking for a replacement. In addition to being an audio interface for a laptop it would enable me to run a stereo pair of condenser mics into the 'mic in' jack on a camcorder without having a computer present, just using an USB/AC Plug adapter for power and a 1/8" stereo to (2) 1/4 mono Y cable to get the left/right mic signals into the camera.
I have been checking out the new ROland RUbix 24, hoping it would do the same thing but also give me some compression or a limiter which would really come in handy. However the documentation does not say if it will run without a computer, or what sort of default stereo routing there would be from the two inputs to either 2 of the output channels or the left and right of the headphones.
As far as I could ever tell this was not an officially sanctioned use of the Presonus Audiobox either but it worked great. Can someone who has purchased one of these Rubix units tell me if it will work as a stereo standalone preamp with no computer attached?
Thanks!

There are pieces of equipment that are designed exactly for that kind of use, you know? Like a Tascam DR-60d (just because I see one on the local CL). Many others.

The other option is to get just a digital recorder with XLR inputs and then sync the audio later. (It's what I do.) Or, you might try to use the headphone output for the camcorder, assuming it has a stereo in that you can match up the level to, and don't blow it up before you figure it out. (But you must have already done something like this with the Presonus?)

For sure there are better options out there but I am not a professional and budget and space is tight. I would use it primarily as an audio interface for multi track recording, but occasionally as a stand alone preamp for video recording.
I saw a YouTube demo of the rubix 22 and it powered up without a computer so I think it would work with the 24 as well. I am hoping to find someone that has one and would try it out.
It was definitely an 'undocumented feature' on the presonus. But easier then resyncing audio/video later, and a lot less gear.

Last edited:
Just a quick note for all those out in internet land, I ordered one up and the Roland Rubix 24 does work with just a USB power supply, including the compressor / limiter functions. I will try it out between a camcorder and a pair of condenser mics at my gig this weekend. I did have to route it through the headphone jack with the 'direct monitoring' knob turned all the way to INPUT

Back