Roland M400 vs M480

jakethepeg1

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post so please advise if it needs to be moved.

I am helping a local school with their sound set up and am looking at purchasing a digital mixer (for music days, graduations etc - they have previously hired an analogue board).

I was looking at the Roland V-Mixer range have been offered an ex-demo Roland M400 for about a third the price of a new M480 and wanted some feed back on this. Initially it seemed a fantastic offer (budget is a constraint) however I'm a little warying of purchasing old models in case of excessive depreciation due to new technology. Obviously the M480 has more/better features than the 400 however I tried the 400 and it has all that we need. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the field of digital mixers - is there anything in the pipeline technologywise that is likely to affect the value of this unit in say three years time? Anything that is likely to cause abnormal depreciation? Is it lacking any features that more modern boards have?

Thank you.

Back