Recording too hot

NirvanaFun

I have noticed with a spectrum analysis that I have been recording a bit too hot with my Boss 1200.
So, my confusion is this. I know I am supposed to adjust the input so the light blinks with loud sounds. The screen that shows the levels, it show the input and also the channel that you are recording onto.

I have heard you should aim for -3db. Is this on the left where the input level is or on the right where the channel track is R & L?

I know this sounds confusing and yes, I am confused. I am attaching a picture of my screen while I am singing into the mic.

Thanks in advance.
David

Attachments

• 11154226_10152709828065925_209690181_o.jpg
    11154226_10152709828065925_209690181_o.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 19
-3 is kind of a hot level to hit while singing, but to directly answer your question, your should be looking at the input levels on the left.

You should be in the ballpark if your recording level averages around -12, or half way up the meter, with the peaks bounding around above that.

How did a spectrum analysis tell you that you were recording too hot?

I have heard you should aim for -3db.
David

Hey, you should aim to not go more than -3db, or to say it better your highest peak should not exceed -3db,
while most of the signal can play at around -12.

Optional: You can use a bit of compression while recording though, it helps.

Optional: You can use a bit of compression while recording though, it helps.

This is true, I think it should be avoided. I did this when I started recording. It takes a lot of life out of the source. I recommend getting your mic set and controlling the source sound. Compress later.

Using compression to control recording levels is silly. If the recording levels are too high, turn it down. There is no reason to do anything else.

Using compression while tracking is about getting the sound of compression on the recording, not tracking levels. (at least in music)

Back