The Official BOSS BR-800 Thread

Have you put the BR800 in 'USB mode'? That's what I had to do with the BR600 before hte computer would 'see' it.

I never bothered with the software after I changed computers, I just moved the files one at a time as WAV.

I called Roland. The tech rep walked me through the process and then said my SD card was not compatible with the unit. (never was it mentioned in the manual that this could be a problem) My first thought was, I will have to rerecord the songs on another SD card. After hanging up I pulled the card and inserted it directly into my computer. After a few minutes...Bingo! I figured it out and was able to transfer to wav, then converted to a mp3 file.
Hope this helps anyone who may run into this problem in the future.

I remember that the 600 was finicky about cards too, had to search out the 'old style' ones.
I appreciate your reading and offering help!
I have another question: While most of the recording process was easy, the one thing I struggle with is vocals. I have a SM57 and a Sennheiser e835. Can you suggest a clean vocal setting??

A little reverb is usually the only the only thing that is NEEDED - but even that depends on the recorded sound. Doubling or delay would really depend on what you want it to sound like.

Overdubbing question: Can anyone tell me how I can record a djembe drum through a dynamic mic on Input 3? It's driving me nuts. I've decided to go with the EZ recording option for now having realised that I can add and change effects just as easily there. However, none of settings on the EZ Recording Parameter List appears to enable me to add this. I'm still on my first song. I've recorded guitar and vocals playing them together with the guitar in Input 1 and the dynamic mic ended up in Input 4 because the guitar effects were coming through the mic in Input 2. But for some strange reason the mic still shows as running through Input 2! I plan to add more vocals using the condenser mic - providing this time it shows up as playing through Input 4. I've experimented with the Rhythm option and added some drums to this particular song. It needs to be slowed down for the choruses. If I can achieve that then I'm hoping to make the chorus drums quieter and add some djembe. That leaves me with Input 3 free for the djembe so all 4 tracks are used and I won't need to figure out how to go about applying additional bouncing. Or so I thought. Has anyone here done this or can advise me how I can use the 4 tracks for guitar, dynamic mic, condenser and djembe?

No, they're not. Have you tried recording, then listening back to see if the effects you select are being recorded. SOme FX are 'insert' effects - recorded onto the HD when you record the track. Others are 'plug-in' style, meaning they are applied to the already-recorded track, but are not recorded themselves unless you bounce/render the track down to a master track.

Thanks for that. That's good to know in case something similar happens in future. I never received a notification by email so assumed nobody had responded. There was a setting for Input 4 that I had overlooked so I got the condenser mic working with effects then discovered there are only 5 barely adequate patches for a condenser mic. Since the bleed is also insane I've chosen to use a dynamic mic instead (although I want to add another vocal track using the condenser mic). It's a shame they're not more popular. I thought I'd find the net buzzing with exchanges about using this gem.

Hmm...well the lights were off for track 3 but it has recorded there actually. The djembe through the dynamic mic is quiet and only audible through the left speaker though so sounds pants. I've now experimented with the rhythm on a few songs. I take it the only way to do this is to record the rhythm track first. I can't afford a foot switch yet and it's impossible to change the rhythm or tempo during the song without pausing. Shame because it was sounding good in places. Best bet perhaps is to forget the rhythm feature and just add djembe perhaps using the condenser mic. Still not quite sure how to accomplish a this though. And like how to add a new source for a new track. I tried the 4ch input as well but it records all 4 tracks at once so when I used input 3 for my drum it wiped the guitar and vocals on 1and 2. And it seems a shame not to make use of the rhythm at least on some songs.

You have to program in your song in the rhythm track, this allows you to change patterns and tempo - of course you need to do this prior to recording any other tracks to it. It's all in the manual - from your mis-steps, it sounds like you need to review the manual again.

Looks like it's just too difficult to include a rhythm track unless it's the same all the way through the song, which is rare. It's confusing enough selecting and adding tracks! I assume I can just keep inserting mics into Input 4 and they'll record on a new track. That's my next experiment, adding more vocals and the djembe drum like that.

Hi - so far I'm not finding a way to do what was very simple, and automatic on the BR-900CD.

I simply want inputs 1 / 2 (and 3/4 if possible) to apply to their own track. For example bass is in input one, drum machine in input 2. When I record, bass goes to track 1, drum machine goes to track 2. I can then play re-record over either, and change the volume on either. Super straight ahead. I'm not seeing this simple functionality, all of the choices on the 'rec' and 'play' buttons seem dictated by the input setting decision, none of which seems to do this basic job. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Inputs

I still haven't found an answer to my main question yet. I'm thinking I may have to phone Roland. All I want to know is how to record guitar and vocals on 2 tracks (which I can do) and then add lead, more vocals and djembe drum to other tracks. The input options seem very limited. I thought I could use the 4 channel input option but it simply records over anything I add to the initial two tracks. How come there is no option to use tracks 3 and 4 together? Does one need to select 2 inputs for an initial recording, mix them down and start again? Seems silly!

I don't have the answer to your question. As you say, the recording buttons aren't flexible, like the input options are a totalitarian state controlling everything one does on the BR800. But you know there's a separate jack for bass on the front right of the machine yes? There's an input option to use that in conjunction with input 4.

2. I'm wanting to use the harmoniser on my vocals but only on the chorus. I figure the best way is to record the vocals for the verses including the appropriate insert effect then use punch in / punch out for the choruses at which time I will add the same insert effect as for the verses but add the harmoniser effect as well.

Did you figure this out? I used an audio tape portastudio decades ago and it had a simple switch for adding reverb after recording so in the mixes I have from those times the added reverb at key points sounds really cool. Not sure how to accomplish this with the BR-800 though. I've just had to set the reverb up front for whole songs.

I still haven't found an answer to my main question yet. I'm thinking I may have to phone Roland. All I want to know is how to record guitar and vocals on 2 tracks (which I can do) and then add lead, more vocals and djembe drum to other tracks. The input options seem very limited. I thought I could use the 4 channel input option but it simply records over anything I add to the initial two tracks. How come there is no option to use tracks 3 and 4 together? Does one need to select 2 inputs for an initial recording, mix them down and start again? Seems silly!

Try re-reading the manual, page 38: http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/39599043/BR-800_e04.pdf

After selecting the source(s), you select which tracks you want to record on. IF recording from two sources (as mono sources), your only choices are 1&2 or 3&4. If you have two sources and want to record them as stereo, you can choose 1&2 or 3&4 or 5/6 or 7/8.

I know that the BR600 had 8 virtual tracks per channel, and you could select which one of those you wanted to use - I assume the Br800 has the same virtual track capability.

Looks like it's just too difficult to include a rhythm track unless it's the same all the way through the song, which is rare. It's confusing enough selecting and adding tracks! I assume I can just keep inserting mics into Input 4 and they'll record on a new track. That's my next experiment, adding more vocals and the djembe drum like that.

It's not really confusing, just time-intensive, as you have to program the drum loop changes (for example: change to pattern xyz at measure 120).

Back