Help needed with bpm ...

sinkingships

Hi
Total noob to recording here, I have a Boss 900cd. I slowed down the tempo of drums to 118 to play guitar along to when recording.
How do I now speed up tempo of song, when I try to speed it up, it only speeds up the drums & leaves guitar at original speed. -- HELP :)

What are you recording into? If it's a sequencer, then there is a problem. Audio files are different from MIDI files. Changing the tempo either direct on the device, or via the sequencer has no impact on the audio file - it is fixed. Better sequencers can resample it to speed it up, but leave the pitch the same or speed it up and raise the pitch - however this has a detrimental impact on the recording. Small changes may be transparent, but going from 50 to 100bpm really spoils the sound. Sorry - but this has always been the problem when you slow things down - but in the old days, speeding up also changed the key - now it doesn't have to.

What are you recording into? If it's a sequencer, then there is a problem. Audio files are different from MIDI files. Changing the tempo either direct on the device, or via the sequencer has no impact on the audio file - it is fixed. Better sequencers can resample it to speed it up, but leave the pitch the same or speed it up and raise the pitch - however this has a detrimental impact on the recording. Small changes may be transparent, but going from 50 to 100bpm really spoils the sound. Sorry - but this has always been the problem when you slow things down - but in the old days, speeding up also changed the key - now it doesn't have to.

I am recording into the br 900, but when I try to speed up from 118bpm to 130bpm on playback, it only speeds up drums & not the guitar part.

I am recording into the br 900, but when I try to speed up from 118bpm to 130bpm on playback, it only speeds up drums & not the guitar part.

He did a pretty good job of explaining it, but I'll take a crack at it.

The guitar part is a recording.

The drums are either loops that are made to be stretched or sounds that are activated by digital patterns(MIDI).

You either have to record it at your chosen speed, or stretch your audio with the likelihood that it won't sound right.

The drums are several short samples that are triggered many times each. Each time a sample is triggered it plays back at the same speed. If you increase the tempo it doesn't change the playback speed of any sample, it just triggers them more frequently.

The guitar part is one long sample. Playing it back triggers it once and so it plays back once, at the same speed. If you change the tempo it still only triggers it and plays it once, at the same speed.

Back