Convert parameter addresses to NPRN/RPN values???

tensionseeka

hi,

i'm wondering if my Roland FP-7 digital pianos system exclusive parameter addresses can be converted to NRPN/RPN values. If this is possible it would be great because this would allow me to make a control surface in SynthMaker to then bring in into Ableton Live (Ableton filters out sys ex messages...gggrrr!). Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Do you have the MIDI Implementation document for your keyboard? It lists the NRPN and RPN values that the FP-7 responds to. If there are no NRPN, RPN, or CC messages listed which correspond to the specific SysEx messages you're interested in, then I don't see how you could convert them.

thanks for your reply SeaGtGruff and yes, i do have the midi implementation charts. It was reading through it that led me to think that NRPN/NPN may be used to edit ALL parameter addresses. Take below as an example:

ADDRESS(h) SIZE(h) DATA(h) DESCRIPTION DEFAULT VALUE(h)
40 1x 30 00 00 01 0E-72 TONE MODIFY 1 -50 - +50 40 0
Vibrato rate (= NRPN# 8)

(where x = midi channel)

As you can see, the NRPN# 8 correlates to the parameter address 40 1x 30, therefore i thought maybe other NRPN numbers may correlate to other addresses though i'm stumped as to how, from the example above; the parameter address 40 1x 30 can be reduced to the MSB/LSB values for NRPN#8

It looks teasingly like its possible as i know that Roland don't declare in their midi specs whats fully possible in their devices.

I'll keep trying and if i do discover it is possible, i'll do a detailed write up for others to read, and hopefully it will expand on what their Roland equipment is capable of...hee!

ps: the reason i'm going down the NRPN route is to avoid using system exclusive messages in my DIY control surface i'm building in synthmaker, as i use Ableton Live as my DAW and Ableton filters out sys ex....grrrr!:(

Last edited:
I have Ableton Live, too (Lite), although the DAW I've been using the most is Acoustica Mixcraft-- which also filters out SysEx messages. So I definitely feel your pain!

Anyway, I wish you luck at figuring something out.

Back