BR-864 - Mixing on computer

hnbike

I am recording with a Boss BR-864. I would like to mix/edit on the computer using n-track ( or something inexpensive ). Can I upload the wav files to the computer (without mixing down to two tracks), so that I can mix, edit, etc each track and then master on the computer ? Using the USB/wav converter?

Last edited:
Yeah, but it seems to be a pretty long process for me. I did this last night... press the USB button and then use the wheel to go to Export. Then pick the track to export (or tracks in stereo pairs, but not what you are wanting to do). You'll then have a .wav of the track you exported and will have to do this procedure for each one. I haven't used the software tool that will take the raw BR song dat file and do this yet... I like mixing on the unit myself so far.

Thanks for the info. I find mixing on the unit to be awkward, especially eq. Any secrets to your success?

I want to do this exact process, but for my rhythm track! How do I get the drums I made with the "step" feature into a .wav onto my computer to mix and edit? You seem to know this :D

It's a foolish policy to tag your question onto an old thread.

Do as you did elsewhere and start a new thread each time you have a new topic or question.

First of all, your custom rhythm track in the BR-864 can only be transmitted to a computer in the form of midi notes, and then only over the midi out. The USB interface is reserved for audio transfer only.

You need to have a drum sampler --- meaning one note for the kick, one note for the snare and so on for each drum you want to hear --- to interpret the midi data in your software of choice. The midi notes will be transmitted in real time as you play the song on the BR-864. Plug the midi out of the BR-864 to the midi in on your computer interface, set up a midi track, set the software to sync to midi clock or midi time code, push record on the software and start playback on the BR-864.

Go here:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=BR900_RhyEditorWin100.zip
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=BRWC200.zip

The first is Roland's Rhythm Editor for the BR decks. Works with the 864 as well, not sure about the 524. You must link to it using the USB button, or have BR formatted CF card in a reader. Great little tool. It will write your edits directly to the BR hard drive, or a compact flash if it is formatted by the BR deck.

The second is a wav importer for the BR decks. Again, it works for BR600, 864 and 900... not sure about the 524. Also, you must be in the export menu on the BR deck. No instructions or help come with it, but it does allow you to select and import and export individual and multiple wav files to/from the recorder. This one does not work with a free-standing card.

Hope this helps.

Back