BR-1200 V-Tracks Recording

Boss4ever

I know, this is going to be a silly question. I apologize.
After some time passed since my last recording I am back trying to record my Korg arranger keyboard.
There is going to be a lot of songs to record so I thought recording 1 song on each v-track would give
me enough space for up to 192 songs (12 tracks x 16 v-tracks = 192). However when I started recording
I have noticed that every song I record on next v-track overdubs previously recorded songs. I think I am
missing something here. It seems pretty basic issue and I apologize if it sounds silly. How can I "turn off"
overdubbing on v-tracks so I can record 1 song per 1 v-track? Please help, what am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
Mike

You select track, then virtual track when recording (or playing back). You sure you're 'overdubbing' - meaning erasing what's there and recording over it? In other words you select track 1, virtual track 2 and it erases what's already on virtual track 1? Are you sure?

Thank you mjbphotos for your input. No, nothing is erased. I try explain again in more detail.
Recording song on T1 + V-T1 = OK
Recording another song on T1+V-T2=there is song from V-T1+song recorded on V-T2 (mix of V-T1+V-T2)
Recording another song on T1+V-T3=there is song from V-T1+song recorded on V-T2+song recorded on V-T3 (mix of V-T1+VT-2+V-T3)
Recording another song on T1+V-T4=there is song from V-T1+song recorded on V-T2+song recorded on V-T3+song recorded on V-T4 (mix of V-T1+V-T2+V-T3+V-T4)
And so on and on. Strange thing is that when I listen to whatever V-T on T1, I can hear that mess, all songs recorded so far playing together.
It is really overdubbing but I do not think it should happen when you try recording songs on different V-Tracks. With 12 tracks plus 16 v-tracks we should be
able to record total of 192 songs. What do you think? Thank you.

I don't/never had a BR1200, but I would think the only way those tracks would be getting combined would be with the 'bounce' feature and you would be able to hear it with headphones if you were monitoring when recording. You may have something in the software causing the unwanted bounce to happen.

By the way, you won't have 192 songs, just 192 mono (or maybe osme are stereo on the BR1200, like my old BR600?) tracks.

You can only select a single V track for recording or playing back for each track. If you are truly recording to different V tracks on track 1, there is no way to play back what was recorded on say 1-1 while recording to 1-2. You just can't. You can't use tracks 1-1 and 1-2, for example, at the same time.

Are you sure you are not recording across tracks? i.e. You record song one on track 1-1 and then recorded the next song on 2-1? You could hear what was on 1-1 while you are recording on 2-1.

You should be able to tell what is going on by looking at the V track menu. It will tell you which V track you are currently using for each track, and whether or not the V track has data.

Thanks mjbphotos & Wish.
Wish, all I want to do is record 100 or so different songs on v-tracks. I do not want to play back what was recorded on say 1-1 while recording to 1-2. I want just record the songs on different v-tracks. I know I can record 12 songs on tracks something like 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 and so on. But how can you record let's say 20 songs (1 CD) at one time so you could burn it to CD?

You need to figure out your track routing for recording and V track assignment for recording and play back. Have you looked at the V track menu to see what V tracks you are using, which V tracks have data, and whether or not the routing and track assignment is set up the way you think they are? Do you have tracks enabled to play back when they should be turned off to record the next song?

This is going to be a routing issue most likely.

Do you have the manual where you can look up routing and V track menus and how that works?

I am not able to help that much when I don't know how you have things set up.

Thanks Wish. I am traveling at the moment and can't check the issue. After I am back home I will look at it and let you know.

Wish asked:
"Do you have tracks enabled to play back when they should be turned off to record the next song?"
Wish, exactly that was the problem. Though it was said many times that br1200 is easy to use, well yes, if you know what you are doing.
You might easily miss something fast if you do not pay close attention to what you are doing all the time. For example, each track has
several different modes and each track button has several (6) different types of illumination for different track status. It is easy to miss
something. Very complex recorder, needs a lot of practicing. Thanks for your help.

Back