Boss DR-670: Pattern/Song Offloads?

Zaphod B

Raccoons-Be-Gone, Inc.
I'd like to be able to offload, for storage and possible later retrieval, user patterns and songs from the DR-670 to a Windows-based PC.

The DR-670 has no USB port, only MIDI IN/OUT ports. Neither of my PCs has a MIDI port. I note that the music supply houses sell PC USB-to-MIDI adapter cables. I do not use my PCs for music mixing or editing - I just want to be able to store stuff from the DR-670 on one of them.

The DR-670 has a "bulk dump / bulk load" capability that allows transfer of all user-defined patterns, songs, and drum kits to be transferred via the MIDI port to a MIDI sequencer or another DR-670. I am hoping that this capability can be used to achieve some sort of file transfer to a PC.

Any ideas?

I've never tried those USB-MIDI interface cables, but it could be worth a try, otherwise, if you have a soundcard that has one of those joystick/IO ports on it you could use one of these cables to connect to it:

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/images/SBC-195_th.gif

I checked out the 670's manual when I was researching drum machines prior to buying my 880, and it tells you how to bulk dump the 670's data to other hardware sequencers, but it doesn't say anything about how you could do it to a Windows PC, I had to install a driver from CD to get the USB data out on my 880 working with Windows. I've seen people on the net going on about a program called MIDI-OX which you set to record any MIDI data coming through whatever port you set it to, there may also be other freeware Windows utilities that can save and transmit the MIDI bulk dump data, but I don't think there are any official Boss ones.

Once you've got a MIDI connection working between the 670 and your PC, you would also be able to use a software sequencer (such as Cubase) to record the patterns generated by your 670 and then save them, edit them etc, however, the only way I can think of of transferring them back to your 670 would involve playing the patterns back with a software sequencer and real-time recording them with your 670 (if you use step recording, you cannot switch the quantisation off, so the quantisation might alter your pattern)

Thanks, Mr songwriter - all good points.

I think I'll look for some freeware utilities, as you recommended. I'd like to avoid having to deal with a software sequencer and the PC configuration issues that accompany it. I don't know if there's any other way to make a midi device talk to the PC OS.

I appreciate the input! :)

There's someone talking about saving the Bulk Dump data from a Boss GT-5 here:

http://www.antony-online.de/bossgt5/midi/midi.htm

he says:

Select the UTILITY BULK DUMP option and the range of patches you want to save to the computer. Prepare the computer software to receive the data. If you are using a sequencer you will probably need to record the data. (You should ensure that the sequencer is set to record sysex information). The "Midi Watch" program permanently reads the PC MIDI input so no action is needed to set up that program. Hit the GT-5 WRITE button. When the dump is completed, save the data on the PC. This should be either a .MID or a .SYX type file.

So I guess if you don't have any luck with any of those utilities you could always try using a software sequencer to record the data, I know you said you don't want to get into configuring it, but it's probably not much harder than what you're attempting to do, I have got good results using a program called Computer Muzys that I got free with Computer Music magazine, once you've got the hang of it, it's much easier to edit patterns, move beats about and change velocity levels etc.

Mr songwriter said:
There's someone talking about saving the Bulk Dump data from a Boss GT-5 here:

http://www.antony-online.de/bossgt5/midi/midi.htm

he says:

......Select the UTILITY BULK DUMP option and the range of patches you want to save to the computer. Prepare the computer software to receive the data. ....So I guess if you don't have any luck with any of those utilities you could always try using a software sequencer to record the data, I know you said you don't want to get into configuring it, but it's probably not much harder than what you're attempting to do, I have got good results using a program called Computer Muzys that I got free with Computer Music magazine, once you've got the hang of it, it's much easier to edit patterns, move beats about and change velocity levels etc.

Yeah, that's probably the direction I'll have to go. I've been digging around for utilites and so many of them have specific, limited functionality - it's hard to tell if any of them are intended to do what I need.

Thanks again.

Back