Worth upgrading from PTLE 8 to PT 10?

Alexrkstr

I haven't been using PT since I was in school for 2 years getting my MBA. So, now I have a student discount that I can use towards PT 10, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the $300.

Since PT9 it has allowed for third party hardware. You are no longer tied to Digi/Avid approved interfaces. And with aggregate devices there's also the option of using more than one at a time (excepting Digi/Avid hardware I think). There are other improvements in the software as well, such as plugin latency auto-compensation.

Right, but I already have a 003 I'm wondering if it's easier to arrange and use (such that it is worth $300)

Are you using a laptop? If so PT10 would let you use the built in audio so you could mix anywhere without the 003 having to be connected. You could mix on the bus, in the back yard, in bed or in the back row at church.

PT10 does require a newer Mac. You might do fine with PT8 for quite a while before the advantages of PT10 reach a tipping point.

Are you using a laptop? If so PT10 would let you use the built in audio so you could mix anywhere without the 003 having to be connected. You could mix on the bus, in the back yard, in bed or in the back row at church.

PT10 does require a newer Mac. You might do fine with PT8 for quite a while before the advantages of PT10 reach a tipping point.

Yes, I am using my Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM). It's not an i5 or i7 but it's still very fast.

Regarding plugins - do you think it's worth the upgrade? I mean, will I get that many more tools (compressors, EQ, etc, effects) that are usable? (Sorry for the number of questions, just want to make sure that it's worth it)

Yes, I am using my Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM). It's not an i5 or i7 but it's still very fast.

Regarding plugins - do you think it's worth the upgrade? I mean, will I get that many more tools (compressors, EQ, etc, effects) that are usable? (Sorry for the number of questions, just want to make sure that it's worth it)

I don't recall a big change in the plugins. I've always been able to do good work with the stock plugins in PT8 or PT10, but that particular studio (I don't do this at home) also has some nice third party effects that I've been relying on more and more lately.

One big change is a move to floating point processing which should improve the sound. I don't have the details memorized but you can find out more over at DUC.

Back