Wicked long track

Richard Monroe

Yo PT gurus! (especially Bennychoi, who's helped me out before)
I'm working on a radio play for another producer. I'm just tracking it. This involves multiple open mics for a long period of time. It can be as many as 6 mics tracking continually for over 2 hours. I'm running Protools 6.0 with a Digi002. The computer has plenty of balls, dual hard drive, etc. I think on a previous session, PT cut me off at a certain amount of data, and I had to create a new session, which annoyed both me and the producer. Can anybody tell me whether there is a limit on how long I can track continuously, and does it depend on the number of tracks? I'm not sure whether it's the total amount of data, or just a flat time limit. If there is a time limit, is there a way I can change it?
Also, if the amount of data exceeds the capacity of one 700mb CD-R, will I have any problem bouncing to disc? I need to export the tracks as WAV. files onto CD-R for the producer, who will handle all post production processing. I understand mics and pres just fine. but I am a little Windows-challenged, and I'm still really a beginner at Pro Tools. Thanks in advance to anybody with a useful answer.-Richie

check setups-->operation-->open ended record allocation

The default I think usually is set to "Use All Available Space". But it might have gotten changed to a certain limit. Check that first. Hopefully you didn't just run out of disk space?

Two hours will definitely exceed a normal single audio CD. Hopefully you can break it up and put it on more than one disc? Or maybe compress it to an MP3 and burn a data disc instead (can only be played in a computer or some players). The bounce SHOULD be fine (I've never bounced a two hour project though)....if you do come across problems, I could come up with some alternate ways of doing things if you needed.

HTH

Back