Where To Now?

GuitarLegend

After over 15,000 hours of Cakewalk Sonar, I purchased Pro Tools 11 to see what the fuss was about. Following an infuriating session of installing with their silly iLok and downloading the files with a pathetic temporary internet solution until the provider pulls their finger out, I am finally up and running. There was no way on the planet that I was going to install anything that resembled QuickTime so whatever it needs that for, it will have to do without. So far, it only needed it for loading mp3 files but since I have other software that can convert files in a blink, its not a problem

So... here I am in Pro Tools land.... and the water is not too cold...

There was no way on the planet that I was going to install anything that resembled QuickTime so whatever it needs that for, it will have to do without. So far, it only needed it for loading mp3 files but since I have other software that can convert files in a blink, its not a problem

Why not? I'm not sure that it installs quicktime player. I'm pretty sure it just installs a quicktime component.
As you say, I think it's used for importing mp3s but also for video playback if you plan to import movs or whatever.

Welcome to hell. :)

Why not? I'm not sure that it installs quicktime player. I'm pretty sure it just installs a quicktime component.
As you say, I think it's used for importing mp3s but also for video playback if you plan to import movs or whatever.

Welcome to hell. :)

That may be all it does but I don't want to give quicktime a foothold in my new computer. When they say I should install quicktime I don't think they mean just that component. And then I am stuck. Took me a long time to figure out how to get rid of it before. Anyway, PT11 is running fine without it. And if I really do have to do movs I still have Sonar installed as a backup. So far I am enjoying Pro Tools - not in love with it, just enjoying it.

I too am a long time Sonar user that recently installed PT 11. I did not like the install process or navigating through Avids web site.

I have not used Pro Tools for any tracking yet, I'm waiting for my instruction book to arrive.

PT is not recognizing my Tascam US-1800 as having mono inputs. It's lumping every thing is stereo. ie 1&2 stereo. Oh well. I like Sonar better.

I too am a long time Sonar user that recently installed PT 11. I did not like the install process or navigating through Avids web site.

I have not used Pro Tools for any tracking yet, I'm waiting for my instruction book to arrive.

PT is not recognizing my Tascam US-1800 as having mono inputs. It's lumping every thing is stereo. ie 1&2 stereo. Oh well. I like Sonar better.

I agree with the install process. I found it infuriating.

Although I really wish that Pro Tools had some of Sonar's features, I am starting to get a handle on it now. I haven't experienced any of the other problems you mentioned but I am a long way from imagining Pro Tools to be "better" than Sonar. I just wanted to get some experience with it.

Instructions are good, there is nothing really intuitive about Pro Tools. You are just supposed to know...

Hey,
Protools does group inputs and outputs into pairs in the IO panel and in the IO lists, as it does with buses, but you should still be able to choose 1 or 2, 3 or 4 etc separately.

Irritating things.... like fading a clip. If you haven't faded it yet, hover over the top right corner of the clip and the fader icon appears. But once you have faded it, the icon fucks off. You have to undo the fade (z) and do it again. In Sonar, the tool is ALWAYS available by hovering over the start of the fade in/fade out, with the option of selecting fast curve, slow curve or linear plus a million other wonderful ways of manipulating fade in/fade outs. I cant even find anything relevant in Pro Tools. Yeah, I am sure it is there but hidden like everything else that may be useful to know....

Ok, by trial and error, once you have faded the clip, the smart tool lets you move the start of the fade out. Knew it had to be there somewhere...

Ok, by trial and error, once you have faded the clip, the smart tool lets you move the start of the fade out. Knew it had to be there somewhere...

I didn't even know there was a fade icon.
I make a selection and hit F. That auto creates a fade.
If I want to adjust it I either do the same again with a different selection, or I use the trimmer tool to shorten, or lengthen, the fade.

If you hit the appropriate modifier with F (Alt-F? I don't know), it'll give you the various curve options.

Just keep in mind there's a big difference between software being irritating and software being slightly different to what you're used to.
I'm sure sonar would irritate me, as would any other foreign suite.

Just keep in mind there's a big difference between software being irritating and software being slightly different to what you're used to.
I'm sure sonar would irritate me, as would any other foreign suite.

Yep, I am totally aware of the familiarity syndrome. That is apparent in the thread on what the best DAW is. It's whatever you are used to. I intend to learn everything I can about Pro Tools now but yeah, the familiarization process is going to be a headache for a while. Thanks for your input

Yep, I am totally aware of the familiarity syndrome. That is apparent in the thread on what the best DAW is. It's whatever you are used to. I intend to learn everything I can about Pro Tools now but yeah, the familiarization process is going to be a headache for a while. Thanks for your input

I can imagine. :(
I'm settled now but for a long time I wanted to jump from ProTools purely because it's a costly experience.
The idea of learning something new always put me off, though.

Thankfully I got a ridiculous deal when I was a student - PT9 for about £80 with 5 years free upgrades. Those took me right up to PT10/11!
Ultimately I'm glad I stayed, but I might not be so glad when I'm shelling out hundreds of pounds for PT12 or whatever.

Hey,
Protools does group inputs and outputs into pairs in the IO panel and in the IO lists, as it does with buses, but you should still be able to choose 1 or 2, 3 or 4 etc separately.

Yeah, I gave up. went to the IO panel. It only shows stereo inputs on my US-1800. It's been over a month since I fucked with Pro Tools. I don't remember all the specifics, but I tried to allocate the stereo in's to separate mono's, not working.

I ordered the PT 11 book from Amazon a few days ago, I'll give it another whirl when it gets here.

Yeah, I gave up. went to the IO panel. It only shows stereo inputs on my US-1800. It's been over a month since I fucked with Pro Tools. I don't remember all the specifics, but I tried to allocate the stereo in's to separate mono's, not working.

I ordered the PT 11 book from Amazon a few days ago, I'll give it another whirl when it gets here.

The IO panel (setup>IO) will only show stereo pairs.
The input or output lists when you're actually assigning them should show pairs and individuals too.

If it's no go for some reason do me a screen dump and I'll see if I can help. :)

The IO panel (setup>IO) will only show stereo pairs.
The input or output lists when you're actually assigning them should show pairs and individuals too.

If it's no go for some reason do me a screen dump and I'll see if I can help. :)

I noticed they show stereo pairs too but when assigning a new track you can decide whether to make it stereo or mono. Then you select your inputs for each side. You can select either a stereo source or two separate mono sources. I would be interested in seeing the screen dump too because I don't understand what the problem is, based on the info given

Hey Guys,

If you go to the I/O set up and select all default, the I/0 is both mono and stereo until you tell it different. You do not have to actually set up the channel I/0. Just keep it at default settings. If you expand the I/0 on the left side of the the left column, you will see what I mean about both mono and stereo.

After you populate a session you then can choose to assign the tracks to the input/ out put of your choice. ex. if you make 4 mono tracks, the ins will be 1, 2, 3, 4 . If you make 2 stereo tracks the ins will be 5&6 - 7&8 etc.

This is not easy to wright down. It would be so much easier for you to watch Eli Kranceburg (not spelled right) on Groov3. He has a very comprehensive tutorial. Just learning the focus command short cuts and I/O template stuff will make things so much easier.

For me so far at least all of the DAW learning curve is about what button to push. A very obvious statement I know but really that's all it boils down to. And then there is work flow and....bla, bla, bla, etc.

Good luck, Jojo

Back