What's the trick to using REX and ACID WAVE files?

blkdog7

What Pro Tools *****?
Supposedly, you should be able to drag REX or ACID wav files from the Workspace browser to the edit window and they should snap and adjust to the sessions tempo. Well, this NEVER works for me. Is there some sort of trick here that I am overlooking?

Yes, it's a feature that has been added for some time. I am currently running 7.4.

Anyways............

Found this answer at some other forums:

Assuming you want to use Elastic Audio (which I'll assume since you're using 7.4), you need to tell it to import the audio at the session tempo (i.e., tick-based). Click the Metronome icon in the workspace window. Then when you drag it in, it will create a tick based track, with the REX file playing back at the session tempo, and will have an Elastic Audio plugin selected. Without this selected, it just comes in as a regular flat audio file.

If you didn't bring it in with this setting turned on, you can also switch it after the fact, but it takes a few more steps:
1) Switch the track to ticks - change the clock to a metronome so the track follows the tempo.
2) Select an Elastic Audio plugin (Rhythmic is ideal for REX files) on the track. (Because while tick based tracks track the tempo, only EA-enabled tick based tracks actually stretch the audio (without EA just the start time is tracked ))
3) Since your file wasn't imported at the session's tempo, it will be playing at the wrong speed. Right click on the region on the track and choose "Conform to tempo" to get it to playback at the right speed.

BTW, don't check the "Import REX as Region Groups" preference if you want to use Elastic Audio. That's the old-school way to do it.

I hope that helps.

-Paul V (Digi)

Back