What interface do "pros" use for protools?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Lets say a pro is doing a live recording of a band and needs like some 24 inputs or something.
What interfaces would they use?
Would they just use like a Digi 002 with a bunch of preamps added on via AD/At?

Just curious. Thanks.

Lets say a pro is doing a live recording of a band and needs like some 24 inputs or something.
What interfaces would they use?
Would they just use like a Digi 002 with a bunch of preamps added on via AD/At?

Just curious. Thanks.

we'd use an HD setup. You can use multiple interfaces and cards if you purchase HD...which interfaces you use depend on what your needs are.
Of course there's a big price difference between that and LE.

a 002 or 003 will give you four mics and four lines with room for adat expansion etc,

fairly pricey though compared to other options.

use 002 or 003, then combine that with another unit that has 8 inputs. take the optical signal out of that, put it in the optical connection of the 002, 003. asign tracks inputs to adat 1-8. combine that with the 4 tracks u have via 002 or 003, and u have 12 inputs...

only problem is not all units work... i read it in the protools forums like a year ago, they was saying a specific unit works for this set up, but it was like $700 and i wasnt doing bands at the time so i never picked it up... i guess do a search for "adding more inputs to 003 or 002" if u choose to go that route :)

i had a query thread about adat expansion for my 003.

people were advising presonus units for the most part.
behringer ada8000 got a mention too. either way isnt very dear.

A "pro" would only use an HD system and all external mic pre's. Micpre's like avalon, millenium, neve ,api etc. They would not even consider 001-003 system not to mention good stable clock like appogee.

of course you need to define a "pro"
I know guys who make money recording people with just an Mbox.
yeah, I was going to point out the same thing.....:pI assume he is refering to pro's as the guys that record the "stars" . Sweden, Filipetti etc.

Back