WARNING - Loss of plug in authorization keys may occur

BAMA

:confused: I just got a new pc with windows 7 and its telling me.. This system contains one or more drive(s) formatted with NTFS, which have volume names longer than 11 characters. This combination is known to corrupt some interLok protected plug in authorizations. If you know which drives are authorized and they are not configured this way,or if you have no Interlok protected plugins then, you may continue.In order to remedy this issue before corruption can occur click Yes to quit Pro tools and rename NTFS volumes to names that are 11 characters or less. next, re-launch Pro Tools and this dialog should not appear. WHAT IN THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN AND WHERE DO I GO TO FIX IT? :confused:

When you open an Explorer window, you will see a list of your drives with their drive letters (e.g. C:, D:, etc.) and a "friendly" name - this is the volume name and apparently, some of yours are >11 characters long.

To fix this, right-click on them, choose Properties and change the name (top-left corner of the General tab).

I realize this is an old thread, but apparently still a valid one. I have just installed Pro Tools 10 for evaluation and got the above-referenced scary warning.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that Pro Tools, "industry standard" that it is, and/or iLok "sophisticated" security device that it is, are thrown by a world-wide modern standard such as system object names with a length > 11.

Or, at the very LEAST, to offer the choice of "show this message again" so a user doesn't have to go through a response more than once.

I'll continue to evaluate, and realize Pro Tools and iLok will most likely not go out of business without my support (meant facitiously), but the apparent arrogance is irritating. Further, the inability of their engineers to accommodate such a trivial property leads one to wonder about the overall functional quality and capability of the products.

Back