Use one song's mix as a reference for the other songs

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hello guys, this is an issue I've been trying to solve for a long time. I'm mixing an album of 11 songs. Let's say I mix a song and I'm happy with the results. Since all the songs have the same tracks, is it possible to use the same volumes of my original session and apply them to the other songs? What I usually do is take an screenshot of the mixer and the go song by song adjusting the levels of each individual track. This is a hell of a work. Is it feasible to do in Pro Tools?

I think at this stage the answer is no.
You can create and save a template session, but ideally you would do that at the start and then record all your audio.

Is it feasible to consolidate all your audio and just import the head into one long session?
I've done that before. Well, not the export/import part but I've worked at ten songs in one session before.

Maybe just carry on as you are and put it down to experience?

I'd agree, for the most part, probably not- but-- There is a way to go as sort of an alt to the idea- Sometimes ( like with a string of songs recorded live for example) In this case I've started with a huge single project, so it's easy to say, begin at the head' and start roughing things in, solving the bigger stuff, setting up track chains etc.
So by the end you've gone through most of a string' of songs with sort of a set of averaged-in solutions.
At htis point you can chop this master proj' into a bunch of 'saved as song projects.. then fine tune from there.

I'm fairly comfortable with doing that on a band session'. An option is to have a bunch of separate pre-saved but more generic templates setup. Each has its downsides..
Makes for sort of a 'make progress on all as you go' vs 'starting fresh on each.

It's a pity that is not possible. I haven't thought about putting all songs in a loooong track. That will be a solution once all teh tracks are consolidated. Mixing should be easy, Pro Tools should allow their users to import custom mixing templates or creates ones to facilitate the process.

So after the tracks are consolidated then paste them in to make one big project?
It might be worth it to do most of the mixing like that, but not if you're just looking at matching volumes for the most part.
One thing that happens with a series-of-songs mix is you can end up with so much automation it gets a bit unwieldy. Which is one of the motivations to go to the trouble of breaking them out into separates at some point!

Back