Use on more than one computer

peipons

Hello,

Is it possible to purchase ProTools and use on two computers? Here's the situation: a friend and I are building a studio, and obviously we want the hardware in the studio. But he would like to do some mixing/mastering out of his home. Would he have to take the hardware with him for it to be able to work? Or could I at the same time be working in the studio while he would be working at home... or for that matter, in another room in the same studio?

Hope the question(s) make sense.

Jamie

Last edited:
That's the idea behind iLok enabled authorization. You can have the same software installed on a number of computers, but it will only run on the system with the USB dongle plugged in. So you can't actually use one pro tools license on two systems simultaneously.

As well, you'll have to concerned about certain plugins that use a "per/system based on the nic id" concept, although even those usually allow for at least two active authorizations.

That's the idea behind iLok enabled authorization. You can have the same software installed on a number of computers, but it will only run on the system with the USB dongle plugged in. So you can't actually use one pro tools license on two systems simultaneously.

As well, you'll have to concerned about certain plugins that use a "per/system based on the nic id" concept, although even those usually allow for at least two active authorizations.

If you're using LE, the iLok only authorizes plugins. You still need to have hardware connected to run Pro Tools.

If I understand correctly... even with the iLok, PT LE won't run without digidesign hardware being connected at all times?

If I understand correctly... even with the iLok, PT LE won't run without digidesign hardware being connected at all times?

That is correct.

Do what I did and find a used Mbox 1 on Craigslist for $150. You can install the same version of software on both of the computers ideally. If you have different versions of the PT LE software, you can still work around it. The Mbox 1 gives you a couple of inputs and the ability to mix or edit the session that your partner is working on as well.

You could get the Mbox Micro, but it has no inputs to record audio. You would just be able to use it to mix and edit...... doesn't sound like what you need though.

Another alternative would be to install M-Powered Pro Tools on the 2nd machine and get the cheapest M-Audio interface that is compatible with M-Powered Pro Tools. You can run open a PT HD session in LE or M-Powered and vice versa.

bilco

Yes, it was M-Powered I was thinking of when I wrote my initially reply.... making the assumption (wrongly I guess) that you would be using some sort of interface for both systems and were concerned about having to move the host around (again assuming hardware=host)....

Anyway if you are just mixing on one system and actually tracking on the main "studio" system the mbox micro might just work.

Thanks for the help... looks like I'll be picking one of those up soon.

Why does the answer always have to be more MORE MONEY?!

hehe

Back